X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veterans Benefit Fare -- and Concert to follow

What: Veterans Benefits Fare
    When: 12 May 2018 1200-1600hrs (12-4pm)
    Where: American Legion Post 179 Neal E. Fonger (2327 Wilson Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49534)
    Who: Open to all
    Cost: Free to attend

This will be the second benefits fare we've put on in the Grand Rapids area and it looks like it's going to be HUGE. We currently have ~25 organizations that have RSVP'd that they will be there. The fare will showcase resources available to veterans and their families but we invite everyone to come and learn what is available. I think many people know a veteran and this way if they are ever in need you can learn ways to offer them help as well. Food will be offered from Silver Star Cafe's "Deployed Unit" (Food Truck) at normal menu pricing and their food is soooo good. Also in attendance will be several distinguished guests:
    • Mayor Huizenga of Walker
    • Representative VerHeulen of the 74th District Michigan House of Representatives
    • Congressman MacGregor of the 28th District Michigan Senate
    • Brett Holt Commander Department of Michigan American Legion
    Afterwards, kicking off at 1900 (7pm) there will be a benefits concert headlined by Of Saints and Scoundrels. $5 to get in because there is limited space AND all proceeds are going to be donated to the Veterans Treatment Court of Kent County. The treatment court is a hybrid drug court and psychological court for veterans who have fallen in to the system because they haven't gotten the help they need. It is funded by the state but only at about a 10th of their operating budget. The judge and most of the legal staff donate their time. Silver Star Cafe will be on site for the concert as well and are kicking back 10% of what they make for the day to the court.

We've got a lot of great organizations and guests lined up, but we're having trouble getting the word out to veterans in the community. We would love to see as many of you as can attend at the event and kindly ask that you help spread the word to make sure as many veterans receive the help they've earned as is possible.

Thank you

Last edited by jcpahman77; 04-30-2018, 02:12 PM.

Current list of organizations that have RSVP'd (please note: as the event draws closer we anticipate the number of organizations to increase).

Comment

Looks cool. Random question: If I bring an old flag can the legion dispose of it for me?
      Joe
      91 Jetta 16v
      78 Transporter
      www.germanautoltd.com
      I have a fender roller. Contact me if you'd like to rent it.

Comment

Originally posted by joezeeuw View Post
        Looks cool. Random question: If I bring an old flag can the legion dispose of it for me?
        Absolutely. Any Legion post should be able to properly dispose of it. I'm new to this particular post so on the off chance they can't, I'll handle it myself.

Comment

http://fox17online.com/2018/05/12/ve...men-and-women/

Comment

Working...
          X