85 Audi UR quattro

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 Audi UR quattro

Hi, my name's Paul Eddleston and I finally got round to introducung myself to this group. I recently took delivery of a beautiful 85 quattro that was previously owned by an Audi friend. I thoiught I'd start a journal-like thread about it and post some pictures. [Edit] SORRY some of the early pictures have been moved so the links are broken but go to the latest pages for current pictures and activity.

I know a few members on this forum already but some of you may know me from by business ventures Team Illuminata Motorsport, also known as TIM but not to be confused with the URQ owner Tim in the UP of Michigan.

Team Illuminata Motorsport

I grew up in England watching Rallying on TV but really got into the sport around the time the Group B monsters were arriving so you can imagine why I'm here now and why I'm so excited to finally have my quattro. I race a Subaru in RallyCross and autocross and do some track days too and I also crew at rallies for various teams if I'm not in the vendor area flogging our products.
    Hope to see you and your cars at some events soon.

So here is what I know about the car from the Craigslist ad:

"One of the best examples of the classic ur quattro available. Very rare Canadian car. Original Tornado Red paint with black leather interior. 1 of only 17 quattros imported to Canada in 1985! Desirable and rare non-sunroof version. 167,000 KM. Clear Michigan title. Retains original metric instruments - I did not convert anything when I imported this car to the USA.
    Over the course of the past 3 years, this car has been totally sorted out by Phil at Auto Europe in Birmingham. Phil was an Audi mechanic back when these cars were brand new. I basically gave him permission to check and correct anything that needed attention. The car was great when I bought it, but it's even better now! New hard fuel lines, clutch and slave cylinders, hydraulic bomb, alternator, starter, water pump, timing belt. tires, battery, master cylinder, rear differential bushing, center driveshaft bearing, etc., etc. The car has a modified head and a modified ECU to allow use of the Euro wastegate spring. A joy to drive. This must be what it was like to drive one of these cars brand new. No rattles or squeaks. Strong performer."

Certainly couldn't take issue with any of that and I've known the previous owner for a few years as a customer at my shop and when I worked at Auto Europe. I was just starting to think about buying a classic when this showed up. I thought I might import an Opel Manta from Europe. That's the car I had when I moved to the US around 20 years ago. I thought it was time to get one back. But then I saw this and it was obvious this was the car I should have. I grew up watching Group B rally in the forests in England and the quattro has always been my favorite Group B monster. Just the noise alone is enough to get my heart racing. Indeed, as I like to tell people, this car is why I now own a motorsports business and race RallyCross, autocross etc. Plus, it would be good that the car stay in Michigan where the previous owner could keep an eye on it.

I’ve had the car here for a couple of months now and driven it a number of times. My goals for the car are to keep it in its original condition while fixing some of its issues and not-quite-original features. My list is already long but does not reflect the condition of the car but my mental condition of list making and nit-picking. Here are the highlights of what needs attention IMHO:

Restore leather seats DONE
    Hot starting issues
    Small dent in hood
    How much clutch is left?
    Driver’s window seal loose
    Handbrake boot fits poorly
    Fuel leak smell REPLACED GAS CAP
    Passenger door pocket coming away FIXED
    Rear diff damp-reseal
    Right rear wheel creaks
    Wipers slow
    Gearbox play, mounts?
    Rust spots, leading edge of hood, and fender in engine bay
    Wrong headlights NOW HAVE ORIGINALS, STAYING IN THEIR BOX THOUGH
    A/C removed engine bay, replace HAVE ORIGINAL PARTS NOW BUT NOT INSTALLING
    Radio too new and blingy HAVE ORIGINAL TO SWAP
    Upper front strut mounts loose
    Rear brake lines rusty
    Front ball joints
    Lower control arm bushings iffy
    Volts-volt and oil temp meters behave oddly
    Door carpet coming away FIXED
    Exhaust crooked
    Jack missing ORIGINAL ON ITS WAY
    Speaker covers loose FIXED
    Non-original speakers

I might need help with some of these. Prepare yourselves for many questions. Obviously some of these are urgent and necessary, others trivial nit-picking but you can’t beat having a list. I’m sure it will grow rather than shrink even if I do check some off.

I still find it immensely ironic that, considering that I’m so into rally, have a rally related business and love to drive sideways that I bought a car that I can neither drive in the snow or on the loose. I guess I’ll have to limit my fun to wet roundabouts, the three or four that exist in SE Michigan. I may do the odd autocross in it or maybe a track day. Do they have track days for classics? I already took it round Waterford Hills track at the recent track day but only during the parade laps at lunchtime. Twas quite fun. Probably, this is what I’ll do most with the car. Just take it to local motorsport events and shows so people can enjoy seeing it. I already slapped some BRAID wheels on it and a discreet windshield banner in white “BRAIDUSA.com” though as it has to earn it’s keep somehow. These are the wheels that are on it right now. What do you think?

I selected them because they are very reminiscent of the works wheels used on the S1, at least in my opinion. I ordered them in the same specs as the originals. I’ll use the Kumho 225/50-15 tires that came on the OE Ronals. The previous owner also gave me a set of BFG 215/50-15 which was the OE size but I’m not sure what to do with those yet. here they are on the car:

Hopefully I’ll remember to update this page with news of the car's development and outings. Meanwhile, if you have any questions or suggestions let me know. I’m all ears, as some of you already know. Anyone want to see the car just let me know.

Welcome! Gorgeous car!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Comment

I think I saw you heading north on I75 maybe a week ago. I remember the white wheels and the window banner. Awesome car man! Oh yeah, and welcome to our forum. I hope you show us the improvements along the way.
      -Joe-
      -'16 STi
      -2004 RX8 - Build Thread
      Former VW's- '10 Sportwagen TDI, '07 GTI Fahrenheit, '04.5 GLI

Comment

Originally posted by AkursedX View Post
        I think I saw you heading north on I75 maybe a week ago. I remember the white wheels and the window banner. Awesome car man! Oh yeah, and welcome to our forum. I hope you show us the improvements along the way.
        Likely it was me. There are not too many in SE Michigan like this, perhaps none.

There have already been quite a few improvements and repairs such as:

ignition switch
        cv boot
        oil change
        shifter bushing
        trunk strut
        OE steering wheel
        stuck window
        passenger door lock
        missing undertray
        sunvisor clips
        heater vents

List is geting shorter though.

Comment

i hate old audi's... the are so expensive to maintain... and everything breaks!

welcome. I love urqauttros... I'd trade my coupe for one in a heartbeat...
          90 Audi Coupe Quattro 20vt
          08 VW Touareg - VR6
          14 Audi A7 - TDI
          17 Audi allroad

Comment

Beautiful car! welcome to MIVE.
            Nick-
            Focus ST- despite what Jake says......project

Comment

Originally posted by npater01 View Post
              Beautiful car! welcome to MIVE.
              Thanks Nick.

I may take it and hang out on Woodward this evening. I was thinking outside Auto Europe, take it back from those F body chaps. Anyone care to join me?

Comment

Hey Paul, we first talked at the Cars and Coffee at Autozone hobbies with Mark K. and later at the autoX last weekend at Belle Isle. Did you end up doing the fun-run last sun?

FYI there are quite a few roundabouts on the Tienken road in Rochester going eastbound from Rochester road....just FYI...lol
                Now
                2016 MKVII Golf GTI PP Night Blue Metallic
                Previous
                2011 MKVI GTI, Deep Black Metallic

Comment

No fun for me, you had to be registered for the event. :(

I used to do those roundabouts in my Jeep when I had a client up that way. Fun :)

Come to Woodward tonight. six to eight.

Comment

Woodward on a Thursday?
                    Nick-
                    Focus ST- despite what Jake says......project

Comment

Originally posted by npater01 View Post
                      Woodward on a Thursday?
                      Sure, I have Friday curfew. OK, we can do Friday too, and saturday and even Sunday, assuming the car holds together.

Comment

I might do Autozone again this weekend....I really need to clay and wax my car at some point....lol
                        Now
                        2016 MKVII Golf GTI PP Night Blue Metallic
                        Previous
                        2011 MKVI GTI, Deep Black Metallic

Comment

Welcome. Love the car!

If you need any spare 10v engines LMK, I have a couple laying around.

Steve
                          2000 TT quattro: work in progress

5000 turbo quattro

1999 A6 quattro

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Angry View Post
                            Welcome. Love the car!

If you need any spare 10v engines LMK, I have a couple laying around.

Steve
                            Thanks Steve. Why so many engines?

Comment

Originally posted by RacingManiac View Post
                              I might do Autozone again this weekend....I really need to clay and wax my car at some point....lol
                              Drive it to C&C. The call my mate Ray and have him clean it.

Comment

Working...
                              X