X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/wheel choice......86 911

Good morning all,

For those viewing who do not know I have an 86 911 that I am looking to get some new wheels/tires for in the near future. There are two sets of wheels FS on a Porsche board that are the same price shipped but I am torn between aesthetics and function. Keep in mind that I have done 4 track days this year and have another in September and plan to do 5-6 next year as well. I want something that can pull double duty street/track and form/function.

The first set are 16" 3pc Speedline Mistral's in 7"F & 8"R. They are definitely drool worthy but finding tires for 16" rims that work well on the track is getting more difficult by the day, especially in an 8" width. 16" are also more period correct for an 86 because I think a little bit more sidewall on 80's cars is the right way to go.

The second set are 17" 2pc Forgeline LS's in 8"F & 9"R. They are also quite attractive but the 17" diameter requires a smaller sidewall to fit the 911 and I think it looks a little funky. The advantage here is performance based; they are lighter than the Speedlines and tire choices for 17" diameter wheels are damn near limitless when it comes to something that can pull double duty on street and track. Plus they are wider which gives me more potential for rear end grip during cornering which for a 911 is critical.

What do you guys think?????
    A big Ford 4x4, a Deeeeezle BMW and a air cooled flat six
    PCA# 2014080243

That is a tough call. Personally I think I'd go with the Forgeline. They will work better functionally and still look damn good. If you want to go back to a period correct look you can always swap the Fuchs back on.
    Ben Zeeuw
    1981 Rabbit Racer
    1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
    www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

Yea 17s for sure. The speed lines would look cool on a mk3.
      Matt
      DCC #0
      ...we all started out with the same tools dream it, build it, breathe it.

Comment

Any other options..? I like them both, but probably the second ones more.
        '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
        >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
        Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Originally posted by n0ftInc View Post
          Any other options..? I like them both, but probably the second ones more.
          No other options right now. I have enough money to purchase either of these sets and put new tires on them. Anything else that I'm interested in is way over my price range! lol
          PCA# 2014080243

Comment

I'm with Stevo. Save up and get exactly what you want for next year?
            Matt
            DCC #0

Comment

Amen..Brocks & Dolla Billz.
              '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
              >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
              Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Can you run the same size all around on a 911? I like to rotate track wheels to spread the tire wear.

The forgelines also look like they would bend if you had an off.
                1987 Red Cabriolet no clipper
                1998 Black Jetta GT
                Something that takes diesel... soon to be revealed

Comment

Originally posted by n0ftInc View Post
                  Amen..Brocks & Dolla Billz.
                  Preach it brotha!
                  Matt
                  DCC #0

Comment

What fuchs you got on it now? 6&7 or 7&8's

We have Fikse wheels on our race car, CCW is another good supplier to look at too!

Comment

Originally posted by cgarr View Post
                      What fuchs you got on it now? 6&7 or 7&8's

We have Fikse wheels on our race car, CCW is another good supplier to look at too!
                      I have 6&7 on the car currently. I would love to go to an 7/8 set up or better yet a 7/9 set up but the cost of two 8" Fuch's is about $2000 and 9" are about $3000 not to mention you're still buying 30 year old wheels (or older). I could go with Braid rears but I would want to get my current 7" rears re finished to match the new 9" rears which alone are around $1500 so with refinishing the fronts (current rears) would probably have me sitting around $2500 or more with tires. There are cheaper Fuch replica's but they are not considered good wheels for the track. What I may end up doing is get the Forgeline wheels and then in the spring get some Euromeister 8" Fuch replica's to run on the street and use the Forgelines as a track only set-up. But that being said; the Speedlines are still so damn sexy! lol.
                      PCA# 2014080243

Comment

Speedlines.
                        Brian
                        1986 MKII Golf diesel (v-pud)

1999 B5 Passat Wgn 1.8T (Farfegcouger)
                        2010 MKV Jetta TDI (wife's)
                        2013 MKVI Golf 4Dr 2.5

Comment

I like the 16's as well
                          '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Comment

Can Weldcraft turn your 6's into 9's?
                            -Nick V-
                            Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
                            Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

Originally posted by xflowgolf View Post
                              Can Weldcraft turn your 6's into 9's?
                              I looked into Weldcraft and they cannot move the centers of an aluminum wheel. They can with a steel wheel. They could add more rim width but only to the inner barrel which if you look there isn't a lot of wiggle room there. Porsche's backspacing for 911's didn't change until the 993 when they redid the suspension out back. Up until then when the wheels needed to be wider you just got more lip but the back spacing or offset was always the same. So I could maybe add a 1/2" to the inside but that's about it.

There is a guy in South Carolina who specializes in modifying Fuch rims. He can remove the centers and change barrel widths and all of that. His wheels are truly beautiful when complete but for the money it would be cheaper to get Braid wheels (it's about $1500/wheel)
                              PCA# 2014080243

Comment

Working...
                              X