Looking to get into a b5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get into a b5

Found an audi i want. It has the 2.8 30v in it. I was just wondering what you guys would consider when looking at it. For me the timing belt is #1 but since i know nothing about these specifically is there anything to look for? Help would be great. Ive tried to find buying guide for the car engine combo but the search only brings up mods and diys everywhere. I will daily the car and thats about it. Maybe some mods in the future.

Timing belt is the big one on that engine. Otherwise they are pretty solid. Listen for rattle from the cam adjusters during cold starts. They also tend to leak and/or burn oil.

Is it an auto or manual? Both are pretty solid in my experience.

Exhaust flex joints, ball joints, ABS modules, wheel bearings are all common failures.
    Ben Zeeuw
    1981 Rabbit Racer
    1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
    www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

That's good to know. I assume i need special tools to do the belt. My Subaru i just sold i didn't need anything crazy.

Are the valves adjustable?

Comment

Yes, you would need the cam bar and possibly a crank holding tool.

Nope, hydraulic valves.
        Ben Zeeuw
        1981 Rabbit Racer
        www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

Is there a remedy for the noise other than new part? Subarus do that but the older ones had solid lifter with adjustable lash

Comment

Originally posted by icyh0tpatch View Post
            Is there a remedy for the noise other than new part? Subarus do that but the older ones had solid lifter with adjustable lash
            Not really. I've heard of some people trying additives but for the most part they need to be replaced. I've been putting off doing mine for a while. It's a hydraulic tensioner so it just rattles for a few seconds after the car has been sitting.
            Ben Zeeuw
            1981 Rabbit Racer
            www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

So its not the rocker assembly as a whole just a tensioner. I guess that's a little better. I just pulled up the exploded parts view at work. The tensioner you are talking about looks like its for the chain that drives the 2nd cam.

Comment

Originally posted by icyh0tpatch View Post
                So its not the rocker assembly as a whole just a tensioner. I guess that's a little better. I just pulled up the exploded parts view at work. The tensioner you are talking about looks like its for the chain that drives the 2nd cam.
                Correct. There is one on each bank. You have to partially pull the cams to get it out. Not a fun job.
                Ben Zeeuw
                1981 Rabbit Racer
                www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

Its looks like 190 for 2 chains and 2 tensioners with gaskets. And another 200 for timing belt kit with water pump. Does that sound about right?

Comment

Working...
                  X