Damn. Fuel tank leaking...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn. Fuel tank leaking...

Well, what goes around comes around. My fuel tank is pissing gas all over my driveway. Not good.

Looks like the car may be done. It's not worth the $1600-1800 repair bill...

I'm bummed. :puppydogeyes:

F@ck you Audi for not using plastic tanks! :2gunfire:

Steve
    2000 TT quattro: work in progress

5000 turbo quattro

1999 A6 quattro

which car???
    the good one???
    '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Comment

awhhhhh SH!T STEVE!!!can I but the engine?

what next?
      Greg
      Subaru Forester STi Stage 3
      www.CaptureShareRepeat.com

Comment

Ummm $1600-$1800? Ouch... Can't you refinish it? Can't you find one in a junkyard and get that one refinished? It's not really worth ditching a car because of a bad gas tank. Guess if you really wanna let it go cheap enough my brother or I might take it.
        Travis -aka- Turbo!
        '01 Chevy Blazer
        '67 Volvo 122s

Comment

Yeah, usually I'd think a gastank wouldn't be worth trashing a car either...

However, a new tank is $900. Ouch.

Then to put in the tank you have to undo the driveshaft, remove the rear diff, rear subframe, etc, etc, etc. Then put it all back together. The labor on that is another $600+ dollars. I don't have the room at my apartment for such a job myself...

I'm on the lookout right now on seeing about tank refinishing. Even then, you stll gotta remove the rear suspension, etc...

I wouldn't gamble with a junkyard tank at this point. If I'm going to get a tank recoated, I'll use the one I have.

If I do not repair it, I'd part it out. The exhaust manifold alone is worth over $500 used. The hybrid turbo, Schrick camshaft, S6 suspension, etc are also worth some decent money...

Sad. Hopefully I can figure something out. I'm almost to the point that I don't really care.

I'd like to get rid of both Audi's and get something else. I'd like to get a Merkur XR4TI and drop a euro 2.0 liter turbo motor from a Sapphire in. Then I could build that up to 500hp with Cosworth and factory parts. I know it's not a VW/Audi but it would fun and different...

Steve

5000 turbo quattro

1999 A6 quattro

Comment

I've always kinda like the Mekurs... although I always get laughed at for saying so..... that would be a fun RWD car for you steve.

I'm thinking the 90 would like a 10vturbo motor... we'll talk soon.

BUT I hope it works out where you can fix the thing... if you need help.. lemme know! :eggface:
            Greg
            Subaru Forester STi Stage 3
            www.CaptureShareRepeat.com

Comment

Damit that sucks :(
              2008 Rabbit
              2001 Jetta GLS VR6
              1989 Coupe 1.8T

Comment

Just put a fuel cell in the trunk and reroute some new gas lines to it. The cheaper ones at Lane's Auto were only like $150. If you use Rubber hoses instead of stainless steel ones you should be able to do the whole thing for around $200 - $300. Then you won't have to tear the back end out and you'll have something cool to show everyone at the GTG's
                :eggface:

Comment

AutoTrader Ad

The one to get, Merkur that is...Not that I have been looking...really...well????

Less then the cost of a gas tank!!

Jim Bush
                  Holland, MI

Comment

I'm with Hector on this one for sure. A gas tank is not a good reason to get rid of a whole car, especially one as badass as yours. Shame on you Greg for not supporting the man. I see you have your own motives. Steve, lets make a trip to Lane Auto and spend a weekend putting this thing back on the road. Can't let it die that soon.
                    Ben Zeeuw
                    1981 Rabbit Racer
                    1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
                    www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

$900 for a gas tank? $600 for labor? Are you getting these quotes from the dealer? Think it really takes 10 hours to install one of those things? No, more like 2. You need to shop around for different prices man. Don't get rid of a car you love over something so stupid. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh but those figures are just plain ignorant.
                      Travis -aka- Turbo!
                      '01 Chevy Blazer
                      '67 Volvo 122s

Comment

Originally posted by HyKlas
                        $900 for a gas tank? $600 for labor? Are you getting these quotes from the dealer? Think it really takes 10 hours to install one of those things? No, more like 2. You need to shop around for different prices man. Don't get rid of a car you love over something so stupid. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh but those figures are just plain ignorant.
                        Not true, I just had quotes done on my audi 5ktq by 2 independent shops both were well over $1000. You need to remove the whole rear quattro system, it takes alot more than 2 hours. On top of that the job is so bad that the shops that quoted me didnt even want to do the work, even if I had 1k.
                        2008 Rabbit
                        2001 Jetta GLS VR6
                        1989 Coupe 1.8T

Comment

Oh, hah... Silly me. Perfect reason to say :fist: to Audi Quattro. :mrgreen: But if you want it fixed I'll do it for $200 as long as you got a manual. Probably won't even need that unless there's specific torque specs. My brother and I can do anything! :!: (for 1/4 the price of anywhere else too.)
                          Travis -aka- Turbo!
                          '01 Chevy Blazer
                          '67 Volvo 122s

Comment

Give me a call Steve-- we'll talk this over.

Comment

Hey Mark, can you PM me your phone number?

Thanks!

Steve

5000 turbo quattro

1999 A6 quattro

Comment

Working...
                              X