A6 trim in Carbon fiber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A6 trim in Carbon fiber

About 6 months ago I started apprenticing at Adaptive Composites, we wrap or create from scratch things in carbon fiber or composites.
    Recently we finished wrapping a set of interior trim pieces for an Audi A6.
    The possibilities of what can be made are virtually limitless, and we are already working on more awesome Audi bits.

Michael
    I feel a lot more like I do right now than I did when I got here.
    1975 Scirocco / 2002 Forester / 1987 Cabby "Project Vertigloo"

I've been leaning towards doing this with my a3 door trim strips.
    They're currently a incredibly reflective silver, and when that sun hits the passenger door, its a killer!
    Rich aka Buddha
    OG Status Crew

Comment

Looks good.
      2000 TT quattro: work in progress

5000 turbo quattro

1999 A6 quattro

Comment

Very cool. Can you explain the process a little? It's wrapped and then coated with a resin?
        Joe
        91 Jetta 16v
        78 Transporter
        www.germanautoltd.com
        I have a fender roller. Contact me if you'd like to rent it.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Slick..
            '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
            >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
            Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by joezeeuw View Post
                Very cool. Can you explain the process a little? It's wrapped and then coated with a resin?
                There are a few ways to do it, in this case the original surface must have any repairs made and then keyed. Any surfaces you do not want resin on must be well sealed and covered with masking or duct tape. It is cleaned well and resin applied with a good brush and precut cloth pieces laid on with another coat of resin.
                After 24 hours it is fully cured but then any defects require attention and possible rekey and recoat. The middle trim in the picture required sanding down to the fabric in a few places due to dust or other contamination and then recoat. The main reason to try to keep the coats thin or few is that each coat incrementally increases the dimensions and require lots of fine trimming in order to get them to fit back in the car correctly, which is checked again before final step.
                Finally it gets sanding through the range of paper from approximately 600 to 2000 and then buffing out with compound.
                Other products require different steps such as vacuum bagging or extended heating, but not these.
                Michael

Comment

sounds very labor intensive

Comment

Originally posted by drew View Post
                    sounds very labor intensive
                    It is! Among the detail mentioned is the number of pieces, correct trimming and the direction coordination of the patterns of the fabric. As a novice this is a week of work, but the goal is to knock it down to multiple sets in that time. For me I am initially pensive and over cautious for several reasons, first although I understand it on a fundamental level I just want to do every piece correctly right from the start to prove to myself that I can and to avoid any re-do's. (not realistic) Second is I do not want to waste any materials or time. Third is that we have some extremely cool projects in the wings and I want the proficiency level to tackle them and more.
                    Michael

Comment

Sooooo, how much to do the trim in a b5 s4?!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X