Autohaus in Royal Oak Untrustworthy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autohaus in Royal Oak Untrustworthy?

So I bought a B6 A4 USP - this applies to VW & Audi, I know what you're thinking - and wanted to get it checked out by a reputable shop. I had them replace my mom's radiator & flush & fill in her 2011 Tiguan and it was a decent price so I came back. So Adam said his tech found a dry rotted TB, faulty coolant flange, & motor mounts. They said they'd repair exhaust hangers for free if I was OK with the $2000 they quoted me. I knew the TB job can go for $1000 at other shops so I went ahead with the work. I also asked to pick up the old parts so I could inspect them. I usually work on my own cars but in the middle of winter & needing a new DD I took it to Autohaus, so after inspecting the parts I'm skeptical. I wanted to show you guys the parts to get your views...

That's the belt

1st mount

2nd mount

Flange

Timing belt looks old and worn. The mounts are a hard one as they hold up a lot of weight. It's difficult to tell off the car. How many miles on the car? What cost was the other $1000? Just labor and parts for the mounts and coolant flange?
    Matt
    DCC #0
    ...we all started out with the same tools dream it, build it, breathe it.

Comment

Originally posted by d bot View Post
      Timing belt looks old and worn. The mounts are a hard one as they hold up a lot of weight. It's difficult to tell off the car. How many miles on the car? What cost was the other $1000? Just labor and parts for the mounts and coolant flange?
      Yes. I'm trying to see if my skepticism is right. They made me believe I'd be taking a chance with driving one more mile on the TB.

Comment

I have seen good looking belts go bad if the Tensioner takes a crap, cant tell by looking at a mount out of the car unless it actually broke.

Comment

I'm with Matt, that belt does look rounded and worn. Is it original? If so its pretty damn old and I'd want to replace it anyway. On the flange you'd have to clean it up and check for cracks. Seems more likely to have just been a leak in the flange gasket. And the motor mounts are definitely not something you can visually check.
          Tuned and deleted Super Duty, An old Chevy with a Cummins, my wife's Volvo, a 5th wheel and a boat. I like to drink and work. My family is cool too.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by cgarr View Post
            I have seen good looking belts go bad if the Tensioner takes a crap, cant tell by looking at a mount out of the car unless it actually broke.
            He said on the car the mounts were collapsed so I'll buy that one. I have the tensioner too it spins but not freely like a wheels.

Comment

Tensioner is not something you test for free spinning. It's a PM thing.
              Tuned and deleted Super Duty, An old Chevy with a Cummins, my wife's Volvo, a 5th wheel and a boat. I like to drink and work. My family is cool too.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by repacs0103 View Post
                I'm with Matt, that belt does look rounded and worn. Is it original? If so its pretty damn old and I'd want to replace it anyway. On the flange you'd have to clean it up and check for cracks. Seems more likely to have just be en a leak in the flange gasket. And the motor mounts are definitely not something you can visually check.
                Okay thanx guys I'm glad to hear the belt should've been replaced. I'm gonna clean up the flange.

Comment

Tensioner is not something you test for free spinning. It's a PM thing.
                  Preventive Maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by mosnet99 View Post
                    Preventive Maintenance?
                    Correct
                    '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Comment

Here is 2 more of the belt. I'm getting lots of guys in the Audizine forums saying this belt did not need replacing or at least had some life in it.

Comment

You still haven't answered what year the car is and the miles. If the belt had significant miles on it then it was a ticking time bomb. It's not a serpentine belt; you don't replace it when you see cracking, you replace it at the interval so that you don't have 5 grand in engine damage.

Rob

Comment

You still haven't answered what year the car is and the miles. If the belt had significant miles on it then it was a ticking time bomb. It's not a serpentine belt; you don't replace it when you see cracking, you replace it at the interval so that you don't have 5 grand in engine damage.
                          2004 with 146K. Well the owner said it was replaced at 110K but could not show records showing it. Would you guys say this is a 36K belt?

Comment

We had work done at Autohaus and weren't happy at all. They ended up breaking the downpipe on my wife's car during other service.
                            They also told us that her timing belt looked worn and needed to be replaced, until we told them that it had been replaced only 3 years ago by SEA.

I don't know about your belt / motor mounts, but i would never go back to that place again.
                            -doug
                            all/most/nothing

Comment

I talked to John about it and we reached an understanding. The $1000 for the timing belt was for them adding labor for the belt, pump, tensioner and everything else that was replaceable basically. He said they go by all data and we added up the labor for each component. As far as the flange he said even though the flange didn't have any cracks they've dealt with too many they replace gaskets and turned out the actual flange was warped and have to go back in just to replace a kind of cheap part. I told him that I felt like I was sold the idea my belt was about to pop at any second, while nobody can really tell when a belt breaks there's 2 sides to the outcome. The belt can look like it can last another 6 months or year and I drive out and it pops and Bam I need a new engine OR it can look pretty bad and I pass on getting it replaced and drive another year on it. No one can really judge it and he understood that I didn't really feel like it was explained to me that its a gamble that no one knows the outcome. I was just sold that its only one outcome and that's me driving out the shop & needing a new engine. The motor mounts were shot both had a bit of the purple fluid residue & snub mount was crumbling. Also they gave me an additional 10% off and said I'll get another deal if I choose to come back to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X