Project Old Blue (race car)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Old Blue (race car)

We've had this little mk2 for a few years now. It made an appearance in my mk1 project thread as well. Now that things are getting pretty serious I thought a proper build thread was in order.

Sorry to say that I didn't take many pictures along the way. This car was only supposed to be a filler until we got our mk1 going. It has evolved a bit.

The car is an '87 GTI. It has had a number of owners over the years. My understanding is that it was originally built some time in the 1990s by a father and son team who campaigned it in ITB racing. I could be way off on this but that I seem to remember. It spent a lot of time at Waterford Hills Raceway. It passed through a few more hands before coming into our possession. At that time it was a lightly modded 16v with cams, a limited slip diff, a bolt in roll cage and some nice suspension upgrades.

How she looked when we first picked her up:

After some inspection we found a bunch of rust where the roll cage had been welded to the chassis but then not treated. Joe had to cut out the base of the cage, build some support boxes and re-weld it back together. Then I stripped all the sound deadening from the floors and re-painted the interior.

We ran it for a year or two like that. Then I started thinking about upgrades in the form of weight reduction. We added lexan windows and stripped any excess metal we could.

The car has been really, really reliable and required very little repairs.

So of course I decided to complicate things with an engine swap

More details to come.
    Last edited by zeeuwvw; 05-02-2018, 11:37 AM.
    Ben Zeeuw
    1981 Rabbit Racer
    1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
    www.germanautoltd.com

that's so awesome!
    APR, Autotech CAI, with some BBS RC's

Comment

I love this car. Glad it's getting some attention. What are the plans for the motor? Other than it being a 1.8t, what model is it? Wish we would have kept the scirocco, track days seem so far away right now.
      Bad decisions make excellent stories.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by detvw View Post
        I love this car. Glad it's getting some attention. What are the plans for the motor? Other than it being a 1.8t, what model is it? Wish we would have kept the scirocco, track days seem so far away right now.
        You are always welcome to take the rocco for some laps.

The engine is an AWP out of a Wolfsburg Jetta. It's a stock turbo but my understanding is this model had the K03s so it's a little more peppy. I picked up the swap from an employee who was parting a car. I paid $100 for the whole thing but it had bent valves. The plan was to just fix the head and run it but one thing led to another....blah...blah....blah. I ended up doing a top to bottom rebuild with a few little tweaks:

IE rods
        IE race bearings
        Supertech valves
        Light port work

With a stage 2 tune it should make about 220hp which I think will be plenty for a lightweight front wheel drive car. Plus we opted to keep the 020 trans to save cost and because it already has a limited slip installed. That trans can't handle much more power. The engine is built to handle much more so we can always upgrade to a bigger turbo and tougher trans later.

Progress has been slow as I'm only working on this during lunch breaks. I'll have some updated pictures soon.
        Ben Zeeuw
        1981 Rabbit Racer
        1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
        www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

From what I remember, from when I had my '01 GTI, the 1.8t 2001 and later came factory with the K03s and before that was the standard K03.

Comment

Too cool..can't wait for October!
            '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
            >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
            Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Always amazing to see what Ben can accomplish by putting in 45 minutes a day. And I get to reap the benefits by flogging it on track!
              Joe
              91 Jetta 16v
              78 Transporter
              www.germanautoltd.com
              I have a fender roller. Contact me if you'd like to rent it.

Comment

Hooray! Mk2 track battles
                -Nick V-
                Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
                Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

Niiiice!!! :D
                  1988 90q
                  2004 allroad 2.7t

Comment

Top shelf as always
                    WSAC,PWC
                    00 Golf
                    71 Westy

Comment

Working...
                    X