No announcement yet.

A few VW's and some patience...maybe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few VW's and some patience...maybe...

Since MIVE is back I guess I will create another build thread (this first post might be long). My last thread was on my 95 Honda Civic track car. Well as time changes people change so I decided to walk away from tracking temporarily to assess my personal situation. With that move I parted ways with the Civic in December getting around my asking price for it. Being the car guy that I am I put my attention on my daily driver, my 2014 Touareg.

I been using the Touareg to tow the civic to track and it has been a trooper (even with the VR6 motor). Before I sold the Civic, I purchased a trailer so that I could stop renting Uhauls and dealing with the sometimes-inconvenient workers at those facilities. Thankfully the Touareg already had the wiring for a trailer brake, I just needed to make a harness and install a brake controller. Also note I installed R-line pedal covers.

Tucks nicely out of the way and still visible/accessible while driving.

During my last track/gridlife event I manage to get a small tear in my rear seat from carrying tools and parts. Instead of repairing the tear (this will eventually happen) I opted for a rear cover. VW had a factory option which still allow the seat belts to work. I don't have a lot of passengers to worry about either though.

I picked up a new set of tires before the snow came in fall of 19 and went with 265/06-18 Falken Wildpeaks. This gave me an AT tire without needed to lift or worry about rubbing. The increase size does impact the MPG slightly and throws off the speedo a hair. But they look good on the vehicle.

I looked for an R-line front bumper since it had an added lip that was a bit more aggressive however I could not find one reasonably close or reasonably priced. Most were out of the country and would need to be painted which put the price far off from what I was willing to pay. In my searched I stumbled on a factory lip option (not for U.S. models) that fit the Touareg. There was even knock-off version on eBay (for 2015 and up which have a slightly different facia) which I thought about fitting. Ultimately, I decided factory would fit best and called my local dealer to see if they could get one. Lucky they found one in Canada and had it to me in 2 days. Still pricey for just a lip (skid plate is what they technically cay it, but it's ABS plastic so go figure) but it should change the looks slightly. It's also 4 pieces and the eBay knock off is one molded piece with some weird brackets.

Installed Spring 2020, also put on factory splash guards due to the tread on the tires.

Sums up the Touareg for now, may get some more "overland" stuff for it. After I sold the Civic, I did not want another car. Well I did but could get what I really wanted at the time. And like everything I got a wild hair up my ass after browsing social media and thought I wanted another MK4. With no intention of buying I went on craigslist to see what was out there and came across a 2002 Golf 4-door, 2.0 Auto with bad transmission (ran) for under $800.00. So, I grabbed cash, hooked up the trailer and went to look at it. It was rough around the edges but I decided to buy it and fix it up.

This is a month after selling the Civic so Jan 2020.

Original plan was to fix the auto (didn't shift right and at first glance had some badly fix wires and possible crap TCU) throw some cheap coils on it. Find cheap wheels (all on eBay) slam the crap out of it and just enjoy having a low car. After doing some reading and closer inspecting I decided trying to fix the auto wasn't worth it and planned to do a manual swap.

I found a car at the local pick and pull that was a 2.0 manual so I went to work grabbing what I could. Shifter, Trans w/axles, clutch and brake pedals, subframe, coolant pipes, ECU and gauge cluster.

The car had been sitting longer than I was told and it had a few more issues also, but I was all in on getting this running. I pulled out the auto trans, subframe and whole front suspension with the intention of replacing all the bushing and the wheel bearings. I also replaced the motor mounts and purchased the flywheel and clutch. Most of the parts come from rockauto.com and I am going on the cheaper side of things as this is never intended to be anything but a daily driver.

Clearing space for new stuff. I put on a new master clutch cylinder and install the brake and clutch pedal (swapping the brake pedal was a complete pain in the ass). Remaining front end came off as I discovered a leak in the radiator so it needs replacing.

Installed the flywheel and clutch.

Got the new rad and coolant ball.

Installed the transmission and motor mounts (nothing is 100% torqued just in case it needs to come off).

Just got the new timing belt and water pump in today, and worked on the wiring to accept the clutch pedal switches......but as life would have it my attention on this car has been greatly impacted.

I made a few posts on Instagram about the Golf and received a message on a car that I thought about purchasing, just did not really have the means to do so. So, a quick back and forth and I once again grabbed some cash hooked up the trailer and ventured out to Alabama the weekend right before more state governments started shutting down.

Welcome back to MI Trrrunk...

Ever since Mike made mention of selling it, I always wanted to buy it back, just never in the position too. Not much of a position these days either given the circumstance...but follow your dreams right. Nothing major will happen with the car since it has been built by Mike but it will receive some maintenance and finalizing of things like the interior (car is sans headliner and aluminum trim) and other bits. No shaved bay this time or air ride (even though I think about it). I want to just enjoy the car and drive it often in the summer, so problem free is what I want.

The first thing I did was strip the wheels. The green was just too bright for me and I like silvers wheels on 95% of cars. Still some remnants of green but over time I will get it all. (Pro tip: Brake cleaner works wonders on removing stubborn platidip.

Next was the engine bay. As I said no shaved bay so I want to get as many stock pieces in as I can. So, I redid the holes to the battery tray to mount the cover better and to give relief to the coolant hose as the battery was right against it.

Rivnuts in. And a quick bracket for the FCM.

And I moved the coolant ball mount up and inch and added another bracket for stability.

Aftermath of both adjustments. The battery box was trimmed to fit, but from above it's hard to tell.

I installed the cupra lip Mike provided.

I put in the washer reservoir also. This one is leaky so it will need to be replaced.

The car was losing brake fluid and I was able to track the leak down to the clutch master cylinder. So, I ordered another one and some other pieces as well.

A black washer cap and he 5/16 aluminum tube was used to make an evap hardline to better fit the reservoir.

Clutch master was installed and bled (which sucked doing)

Billet hood pull for some bling.

ECS then had a sale on the engine cover (or one part of it) so I got that.

So, there we are...wheel spacer came this week for the Jetta and will go in and I will continue getting the Golf swapped and running. Once done though it will be given to my oldest daughter. Bushing are pressed in and it will get new wheel bearing and exhaust, but it will remain factory height and no cool wheels. As for the Jetta,
    some coilovers at some point and change the color. Not sure how, I would like to paint it but that costs to have it done right. Vinyl wrap and Plastidip are a lower cost option so we will see. Still piecing the interior together and getting the engine bay back to as stock. So, more work to come....sorry about the lengthy post and word spacing.

Dameon-
    11 Jetta SE
    82 rabbit GTI

Glad to see you back on here! Look forward to seeing that car randomly around here!
    90 Audi Coupe Quattro 20vt
    08 VW Touareg - VR6

Comment

Thanks Jon, I have been driving it as much as I can with the current conditions of the world and when I don't have the need for the larger Touareg.

I did manage to move farther on the Golf.

Installed a new timing belt, water pump, tensioner and replacement tins to cover the belt.

I got the front end together, axles in and most of the accessories in as well.

I still need a few parts and am working on getting the exhaust manifold ready to be put on. But it's full of fluids and almost ready to fire and see if this thing works.

I picked up a heap of parts for the Jetta also. First was 20mm spacers for the rear to get a more flush appearance.

Ran to our local pull and save and got to taking what I needed from a 2004 Jetta they had.

Managed to get all the pillars, lights, handles and sun visors in grey. Candy cane tail lights, (glove box for the Golf) aluminum hood and trunk struts.

Then went back for the headliner which is in terrible condition.

The headliner will be taken to an interior shop next week to get covered. I decided to just replace the few black (R32 interior) bits with grey since I was able to obtain them at a lower price. Plus I can sell the pieces I have and come out on top.

The car has 986 (Boxster) 4 piston brakes up front with Audi TT 312 rotors. Which is a great brake setup, but I opted to piece together another set of big brakes for the front and back. Even though this car may not see the track or if it does very seldom, I think I just am going to like the way this looks when I get it together.

Starting with Touareg/Cayenne 4 piston rears and the 17z 6 piston fronts.

I cleaned them up got a few coats of silver paint and clear on them and of course Porsche stickers for max effect.

I still need to buy the bracket for the fronts and to step the rotors back up to 334 mm which is stock MK4 R32 size. The rears require the 312 rotors I have in the front along with dual caliper bracket from Rizpiz Designs which I also need to buy. Brakes will require a front spacer also for the Aristos and won't go on until the fall when I can work out getting the parts.

So more to come, thanks for looking.
      Dameon-
      11 Jetta SE
      82 rabbit GTI

Comment

HUGE STOPPIES! Love it..
        '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
        >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
        Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Update:

Picked up a full GLI Interior trim on ebay. Seller sent the wrong goods originally (sent 20th interior) and got it sorted eventually. Also had to pick up the Climatic surround from another seller in Latvia separately. Being an out of country purchase in Covid time I expected a few months but came in just about 4 weeks.

Parts installed

I need a radio install kit to close the gap with the aftermarket double din.

I got the headliner refinished. It is not perfect, the shop that did it did a really good job. But I got smudges on it while installing the pieces. If I was thinking ahead I would have had all the trim done in the new material VW is using rather than what cam in the MK4's.

Interior is almost wrapped up. Just want some new mats (monster mats), remove the soft touch from the center console and a few odds and ends but nothing that changes the current look. I plan to send the Cluster to have the information board swapped to a full color board. I'd like to get the seats redone but need to save some pennies first.

I picked up an ECS Tuning Intake and the final piece to the engine cover again from a company in Latvia (OEM parts, cheaper just shipping time)

I also swapped the Porsche Oil and Coolant caps from my Touareg to this car.

Made a quick bracket for the Ambient temp sensor and you can see where the filer resides now.

The bay is pretty much done aesthetically. I want to replace some of the coolant pieces with their aluminum counter parts but once again nothing should change. Unless someone has a Audi S3 Coolant cover, I am searching for one of those.

No real big plans for the car. Big brakes are on hold or may be for sales. I think I am content with the 986 brakes on it now. Just some coil-overs, wrap, new side skirts and lip kit and it would be complete-ish

Thanks for looking

Dameon-
          11 Jetta SE
          82 rabbit GTI

Comment

Noice
            90 Audi Coupe Quattro 20vt
            08 VW Touareg - VR6

Comment

Small update for the crickets...

Painted the 486 calipers red using a brush on kit. Not to bad, just don't look at the back of the caliper.

Pulled the fender liners and weather plastics and gave them a good clean.

Since the weather is changing moved the Golf out of the garage and move the Jetta over to begin pulling the motor for an LS swap.

In reality just pulling parts to fit some replacements. Spotted a small coolant leak so opted for a cast Eurowise coolant flange and coolant pipe.

Going to focus on some maintenance stuff this winter I order a new AC Condenser and AC Dryer as the one on the car had some damage and a broken hose to the dryer. The Power Steering pump need replacing, seems to be leaking through the seal by the pulley. Replace some bushings and seals, get some new headlights and other bits.

Until then here it sits.

Dameon-
              11 Jetta SE
              82 rabbit GTI

Comment

Cool..keep it up!
                '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
                >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
                Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Thanks Steve.

Small update. I got the coolant flange and pipe in and found some immediate leaks. Nothing a few new o-rings couldn't fix.

New AC Condenser showed up and was attached to the Mishimoto Radiator.

Once I got it attached I installed the the radiator to the support and found I needed to do some trimming to get it to sit properly. The Mishimoto's have been known to have an ill fit. With trimming you can get it in there but it sit really close to the headlight. With a small washer on the headlight mount is still touches slightly and for my liking.

Without running the AUX radiator I was willing to live with it. Then I attempted to connect the lower AC line that sit by the lower coolant hose and it just wasn't going to happen. I could get the AC line connected making small adjustments to the AC line but then it sat on the lower rad hose and that started to leak. So I searched for an alternative and found CSF made an aluminum dual pass radiator also but the hose connections were much slimmer.

Looks better and fits a lot better. Still had to adjust the AC line but at least it does not leak. I am going to pillage a AC line from another Mk4. They have 2 style of lower hoses one that is a 90 which I have an then one that angles down then goes to a 90 which may fit better. But the headlight clearance is perfect.

Lastly I removed the soft touch crap from the interior bits. Shiny.

Next up is to replace the PS pump after the holidays, install a new Haldex Axle seal and more general maintenance.

Thanks for looking.

Dameon-
                  11 Jetta SE
                  82 rabbit GTI

Comment

Working...
                  X