TEST

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project: 'Rocco's Modern Life -- Post deployement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: 'Rocco's Modern Life -- Post deployement.

The farther into this car I get the more I find it needs. I'm not ready to give up on it yet so I'm making it a project car. A lot has been done to the car since I paid $50 for it, but there is much to go.

This spring, as every spring for a few years, I will be looking forward to a sizeable tax return. Most of it is earmarked to pay back debts, but I always take a chunk to put into a vehicle for the repairs I would otherwise be unable to afford. This year the 'rocco's card came up.

For those that have been following along my short time with the group so far you already know that the car has gotten a rebuilt motor and transmission as well as (soon) coraddo seats. Also new are the radiator and front brakes including the brake lines. For the most part I am happy with the way the car runs and feel it is fast enough for me at this time. What it needs now is more chassis and suspension related. As well as a few crack pot ideas that I'll let out of my head as time progresses.

Short term (like next week hopefully) it'll be getting new front wheel bearings as well as ball joints and an alignment. Ideally tonite I'll have the coraddo seat nighmare straightened out (although I'm sure it's my own fault for starting so late at night).

What I need advice on as far as how to proceed is in fixing some holes I have found in the car. I have known that the running boards were going bad, but now I am finding holes in the floor pan. I have no problem with putting new metal into the floor of this car. I don't have a welder but I did some in school so I may be able to handle the work if some one has the machine. Where I'm most curious is at what point should I just say F'it and put in a full cage? Yes this car is my daily driver, however, I've already removed most of the interior rear of the front seats so stripping it further doesn't bother me. Also does anyone have experience with possible connecting the front and rear sub frames for further strength/rigidity? I don't intend on having this work farmed out (I don't think I'll have quite that much money this year) but as I am inexperience in this I would like to know how best to proceed.

Once the holes are fixed and I'm satisfied that the car is for the most part solid I have someone who will paint the car for me for just the cost of paint. Also I'd like to do something about the worn shocks/struts but the body work is the priority. After that new rubber both for the 13's I have for winter and the 15's I have for the summer is in order, but I'll worry about that later.

I'll entertain any other ideas for this car, but I'm not letting this one go into that good night just yet. There aren't that many Sciroccos on the road and I feel that I need to restore this one (call me crazy).

Oh almost forgot, I'm anticipating having $400 to use this spring (500 if I don't goto gingerman, but yeah right, I really wanna drive on a track). I know it's not a lot, but this way you know what I have to work with.
    Last edited by jcpahman77; 11-23-2008, 01:59 PM.

Re: Project: 'Rocco's Modern Life

if you are running into holes in various places such as the floors, i would jet that up on jackstands, crawl under there and start tapping around and see if you come across any other spots. this may not be the best chassis to put a cage in if you have these problems. honestly why would you need a cage for the car? i had big plans to turn my car into a track car, but realized that it was impractical as i cant afford to persue racing. it does look pretty cool and my car is a tank, but it does make it a pain to get in and out of as well as a daily driver you really need to have a harness so that in the case of an accident you dont slam youre head onto the cage.

i would say take a step back, come up with a complete plan as to what you want to accomplish with the car and then start putting the pieces together. you are going to need to fix all the body and suspension issue first i would think. the rust is only going to get far worse before winter is over. you can still source rockers and pans or cut them out of a good chassis at the yard. u-wrench it has two roccos

Comment

I was only thinking of the cage in terms of structual rigidity not for racing (although it would be a nice side effect). Naturally I didn't think about the possibility of smashing my head into it in the case of an accident. As for difficult to get in and out, we crossed that bridge 7 months ago when I bought the car, I'm 6'6" it's not, every day is an adventure getting in and out :p. As for sourcing the floor boards, these are S2's at u-wrench-it? And then what do I need to get the boards, a torch? Also would you know the approx. cost?

Comment

Originally posted by jcpahman77
        I was only thinking of the cage in terms of structual rigidity not for racing (although it would be a nice side effect). Naturally I didn't think about the possibility of smashing my head into it in the case of an accident. As for difficult to get in and out, we crossed that bridge 7 months ago when I bought the car, I'm 6'6" it's not, every day is an adventure getting in and out :p. As for sourcing the floor boards, these are S2's at u-wrench-it? And then what do I need to get the boards, a torch? Also would you know the approx. cost?
        yes there is a white one and a red one i think. as for pricing call them. they may have to do the removal on the parts though. i know last summer they had a sign about no more torches and recipsaws for insurance reasons or something. give them a ring.

well if you are having fun getting in and out now, wait till the cage is in. im a foot shorter then you and i wouldnt say its tough for me to get in and out, but the removable steering wheel helped.

Comment

Someone should be making replacement panels, but i can't find anything. Business opportunity! I should make a mold and stamp out a few 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by kaltblutig
            Someone should be making replacement panels, but i can't find anything. Business opportunity! I should make a mold and stamp out a few 1000.
            I'll let you use mine as a mold if I can have the first one no charge :D

But it looks like for me it's just going to be a small section between the running board and seat rail. This might not end up being so bad. *fingers crossed*

Comment

go to http://www.por15.com and you will find products there to fix rust and your holes. i'm going to use some on my jetta to fix some rust as well
              '11 Audi A4 6spd Quattro | '13 Mazda CX-5

Comment

I think I'll coat whatever material I put in to fix the hole with this por-15. Right now it's pretty large and kinda allowing the floor board to sag so I want to make sure it's really strong. I think I'm going to ask Damir this spring if I can borrow his welder. I don't need too much but it is probably 2 feet by 2 inches. Aside from that the por-15 looks like a good product.

Comment

Another product that you can use is called Rust Bullet. Personally I used the POR-15 on my last project to just protect but it gets mixed reviews. Worked well for me though. Nice, hard, and smooth finish.
                  Matt
                  DCC #0
                  ...we all started out with the same tools dream it, build it, breathe it.

Comment

That is the best project name ever man! ;D
                    Edin Kurbegovic
                    '03 Gti VR6 24v

Comment

I keep forgetting to get pics of the seat swap and the hole so the rest of you can weigh in on how bad/hard it's going to be to fix. The car is parked for a little while as the wheel bearings have finally gone bad. The parts will be here Monday, hopefully I'll be able to get it all done in a day or so (the person I know with a press is in Muskegon). After that I begin shopping for struts and/or springs and main caps. Inexpensive is key I'm poorly funded but hopefully I can get all four corners done springs and struts. Then strut braces, then onto gingerman. After all this though the car won't be too bad, except for paint, and I have something lined up for that too.

Comment

Ok a small update from me. The wheel bearings are in and the front end feels much better -- surprise. Got it to run with a coil from Pete, also put in new plugs. It's alive again and pulling very strong. Now a new question arises: I had a friend following me to make sure it didn't die again, and he said when I use my turn signal all my taillights dim when it comes on. The alternator belt is tight and I think I remember having it's output tested, maybe not. On the same note my headlights have always been so dim I can barely see in front of me. I've just assumed they are old, as mentioned it was a $50 car. Now that I'm being told the taillights dim with the turn signal I'm wondering if there is a correlation. For discussion's sake lets say the alternator and voltage regulator are ok, I'll have them tested tomorrow to make sure.

Comment

It's been a little while since I've made an update and things are coming along nicely. This car never fails to impress me, both in it's performance and it's ability to piss me off. This round of updates includes an exhaust AGAIN this time fully welded so nothing can go wrong *jynx*, as well as new tires. I'm also going to finally take pictures of the corrado seats since both are installed now. The exhaust sounds very nice and in gear acceleration has increased dramatically, no more downshifting to accelerate on the highway. The tires will be better appreciated Monday when I have the car aligned. The seats just f'ing rock. Let no one tell you corrado seats aren't worth every penny. Pics tonite, I'm off to Wal*Mart.

Comment

The following is a rant, you will be returned to your regularly schedualed build page shortly... Please stand by.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start in summary, Wal Mart blows, don't ever go there. I was there an hour maybe an hour and a half and watched them make about every mistake you can before getting to my car. Car 1 was an alero and while duchebag #1 is taking my info and what I need done duchebag #2 is trying to mount a tire on a rim. He made four good tries at it but just couldn't get it. He never lubbed the tire, never leaned on it, I thought he was a wuss. Turned out he's a moron, he was trying to mount a 15" tire on a 16" rim, generally that doesn't work. 30 minutes later he gets two properly sized tires mounted and balanced and backs the car out of the garage. 30 seconds later the car is back. Aparently it IS important to torque the wheel down. The center caps were then installed and the customer was on their way. Vehicle two went much better, they only had to pull it back in because he forgot the hub caps. Finally it's my turn. Douchebag #1 is behind the wheel, he's pulling the car in, he gets to the ramps and stalls the car. Two more tries are made before he hands it off to douchebag #2. All the while I'm screaming through the glass "you've got it in 3rd you blind moron". Douchebag #2 only took two tries and finally got the car on the ramps. This is where progress halts. Both douchebags are now walking around the car as if it's some UFO. One finally puts the rubber blocks under the pinch rails. Still the car is on the ground. A few more laps around the car and now there is just one douchebag. He removes the blocks and makes a final lap, hands in pockets. He asks to speak to the owner (me) and I am informed that my car has no sutable place to lift, it's too rusty. I've had this car into numerous shops one just last week and not one of them have complained. I called the store manager when I got home. He's going to have the Tire Manager call me tomorrow. That conversation is going to go something like this: "You have incompetent employees. I used to change tires at the Sam's next door I know this car is in acceptable shape. Now you are doing the work at no cost because I'm going to have to make a second trip to Alpine from downtown and gas isn't cheap. Thank you." End Rant

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I now return you to your regularly scheduled build page already in progress. Thank your for your patience.

Comment

I went and grabbed a goodie bag full of hoses today, so I'm sure I'll have the right on for yah.
                              I came to get down.
                              -Ed
                              '05 545i MTech 6MT + '97 BMW M3 sc'd + Ducati 749s
                              still DCC numbr01
                              inspired by moonshine and women i've never had.

Comment

Working...
                              X