No announcement yet.

Project '84 Jetta GLI (PENDING UPDATE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project '84 Jetta GLI (PENDING UPDATE)

Here are some shots I was (finally) able to take of the 1984 Jetta GLI I recently acquired (after the rain/hail storms this afternoon):

It seems to be a sturdy little beast w/ nearly everything accounted for. My first Volkswagen experience was an '81 Jetta Diesel. Despite having only 52hp, I loved driving that car. I learned how to drive stick in it, and I taught all my friends shortly thereafter. Our family had two other Mk1 Jettas, both '81s as well. The last of them was one of my favorites. It was the first car I ever really considered "modding". Therefore, this Mk1 is possibly going to be the "spiritual successor" to the last Mk1 Jetta I had...

The first hurdle to overcome is getting it started. The PO was pretty up front and had indicated that it may have a problem w/ a fuel pump relay... With a little help from a few MIVE buddies, and a few minor "miscues" that I won't bore you w/, we were able to get it cranking over again and determine that it DOES indeed have spark, but the fuel pump isn't making any noise.

Next task on my list is to test the fuel pump and/or jumper the fuse box where the relay plugs in. If none of those tests end w/ a positive result, I might be beyond my limits in both capability and patience...
    Last edited by JohnnyB; 06-30-2011, 02:01 PM.

You have too many cars John.
    I came to get down.
    -Ed
    '05 545i MTech 6MT + '97 BMW M3 sc'd + Ducati 749s
    still DCC numbr01
    inspired by moonshine and women i've never had.

Comment

Fun project. I have a newer fuel pump you can have if you end up needing one. What is that black ball shaped thing near the hood release lever?
      Joe
      91 Jetta 16v
      78 Transporter
      www.germanautoltd.com
      I have a fender roller. Contact me if you'd like to rent it.

Comment

Originally posted by joezeeuw
        What is that black ball shaped thing near the hood release lever?
        bicycle horn?
        nice car john, let me know if you need a hand working on it.
        -doug
        all/most/nothing

Comment

Originally posted by goofydug
          bicycle horn?
          LOL

Nice Jetta. Hope you get it sorted out and running.
          2005 Tornado Red GTI 1.8T
          Project <name-to-be-decided-later>

Comment

good choice john. i think you will be happy with this jetta once the quirks are worked out.
            I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

She's alive! She's alive!

Great news...

I had a chance this afternoon to get my hands a little dirty and try to track down the source of the problem. I tested the fuse-block for current, it was good. I jumped another battery I had lying around directly to the fuel pump, it whirred to life (albeit noisily)... I tried three separate "used" fuel pump relays, and tried to see if any current was getting to the pump. Result, nada, zippo, zilch, nothing... Finally, I stripped two ends of a wire and put it in the proper two slots in the fuse-block, and voila! Started right away, and ran smoothly almost immediately. Huzzah (sp?)!

So my current plan is to get a new (or verified working used) fuel-pump relay, and plug it in to see how well this thing drives...

BTW.
              I have a newer fuel pump you can have if you end up needing one.
              Thanks Joe, I may end up taking you up on that...

Originally posted by goofydug
              bicycle horn?
              Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding... We have a winnah! It sounds like a friggin' "clown car"!

Originally posted by frotogl
              You have too many cars John.
              Yes I do... I have too many/much of a lot of things (but not enough of others).
              Last edited by JohnnyB; 06-05-2006, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Cross you fingers and wish me luck!!!

'Since I happened to be there for other reasons, I got a new one from S.E.A. this morning. Cross your fingers that it solves the problem!!!

Comment

Success!

Huzzah! Huzzah! The new relay was a SUCCESS!

Three cheers for Mike @ S.E.A., and everybody who offered advice and/or assistance. 'Popped the relay in after getting home form work today, and "SNAP!", it started right up... Now all I have to do is zip-tie the fuel pump back into position, and throw a plate on to see how well it drives...

Comment

It moves!

UPDATE: 06.09.2006

If I'd had time to post this Friday night, I would've. But one very CUTE & SICK puppy prevented me from getting to my computer...

It moves! I finally re-strapped in the fuel pump, hooked up the battery, and dropped it off the jack-stands. Re-inflated the front tires, started it up, and DROVE it out onto the street. It goes forwards and backwards, so maybe when I get some time this week (and feel adventurous), I'll take it for a longer spin to see if there's any more "cob-webs" that need shaking out...
                    Last edited by JohnnyB; 06-12-2006, 03:26 PM.

Comment

woohoo!

self sustained movement is the best
                      -Nick V-
                      Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
                      Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

UPDATE: 06.26.2006

Well, w/o going into too much detail, the car was almost traded but is still in my posession. I swapped the stock 13" Tarantula's for a set of 15" Corrado steelies I picked up last week from username

... and was able to put a few miles on it. It's surprisingly solid and I'm very pleased. There are a host of things I'd like to address before "approving" it for daily use, but there doesn't currently seem to be any major issues (crossed fingers)...
                        Last edited by JohnnyB; 12-15-2007, 06:39 PM.

Comment

1st major issue... Get rid of the Ghetto Lean in the driver's seat!

-T
                          '88 16v Scirocco project - on hold

Comment

Originally posted by UBRHASE
                            1st major issue... Get rid of the Ghetto Lean in the driver's seat!
                            Yeah... :werd: I forgot to mention that. I'm working on it though...

Comment

UPDATE: 06.27.2006 (Diamond in the rough)

I finally titled/registered/licensed the Jetta today. I was so excited about it I started to tear into the interior w/ a mini shop-vac and uncover what might turn out to be a "diamond in the rough". First order of business was to make sure all the lights are working (though, I forgot to look at the license plate lights. Oops!).

Next, I started to take a look at the torqued driver's seat and contemplated a complete swap w/ my G60 Corrado. Because of some fundamental component variations, a straight swap won't work, but because the basic architectures are the same, I'm planning to swap the complete driver's back and cushion foam/trim over to the cushion frame from the Jetta. I'll try to get pics of the de-trim/re-trim process tomorrow. Eventually, if everything goes well, I'll do the same to the passenger seat, and eventually may re-trim them both w/ new materials. Thank god I work for a seating company...

Comment

Working...
                              X