Project: Tear Drop **Updated 07/5/08**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Tear Drop **Updated 07/5/08**

Ok so I just bought a 2L 16V engine tranny and the whole 10 yards that go with it. Came out of a passat, i'd say early to mid 90s. CIS fuel system.

My dad bought an 84 Rabbit Convertible (RUST FREE). My first car was a n 87 Cabriolet, Black. I rebuilt the engine in it and i absolutely loved it! Sold it because of stupid reasons. . . . Anyways he bought it and i fell in love with it. I said i wanted to buy it from him, so I am. AND i dont have to take out a loan either. I can make the few payments to him directly. SWEET deal.

But sense shes so perfect right now, im not going to touch her just yet. Buy most if not all the parts then come spring put them in her.

This is going to be a budget pocket racket. Not everything (only major components) are going to be used.

Why a rabbit convertible you ask? Well i just love em, cant explain it. Its like your first child (or how ever many). You just cant help but love em!

This was my old car that I sold; The Falcon :-(

And now here is The Falcon II:

Last edited by Millennium Falcon; 07-05-2008, 05:11 PM.
    Gekauft nicht gebaut!

Fun project
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Comment

AGAH!1111 Fram!!!
      Geoff Rood
      "If there's a hole, you just get in it!" -In reference to California driving

97 A4 1.8tqm
      90 Corrado 2.1-20vt (in progress)

Comment

it's the ANTI falcon!!
        '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Comment

Ok we tried to do a compression check on it as where it sits. For what ever reason we couldnt. Hmm its in neutral, so what could be the cause? Dad couldnt think of anything, so i said im just going to take it apart anyways. Well when i did that I found out why it wouldnt turn over. . . .

Damn, Im pissed. I was told this was a running assembly. And we couldnt even get it to turn over. Im going to be having a few words with this guy. . .
          Phill
          Gekauft nicht gebaut!

Comment

doh!

exploding differentials.

hopefully the motor is good regardless. odds are slim both failed. it had to be running to gernade the diff.

on the plus side that is a great looking cabby and should make a beautiful combo when it's put together. anything wrong with the current drivetrain??
            -Nick V-
            Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
            Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

lol you used anti falcon!!! hoorah!
              '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with the current drive train on the white rabbit, so it shouldnt be to bad. Im just worried about that tranny not being able to handle the power. Im thinking around the 175-200 range, but, we shall see.

Do you guys think it will?

Originally posted by verboten1
                lol you used anti falcon!!! hoorah!
                I had to use it. It made so much sense. I/e Gandolf the Gray and Gandolf the White.

Phill
                Gekauft nicht gebaut!

Comment

I wouldn't want to use the Passat 02A trans anyway... Far too much work. Besides, in the 175-200hp range the tranny itself isn't going to be the weak point, it'll be the driveshafts. Slap in a Rabbit GTI trans, 100mm (late cabby) axles, and a 16v pressure plate and call it good.
                  Travis -aka- Turbo!
                  '01 Chevy Blazer
                  '67 Volvo 122s

Comment

200 HP in a regular trans no issue.
                    ran the FN in the callaway for 60,000 miles nop issues, and sold it for $600 when i was done

Comment

I just scored a sweet deal on a Neuspeed Upper and Lower tie end brace from ebay for a grand total of $100 or so. Pretty fair deal i'd say!

Gekauft nicht gebaut!

Comment

So i finally got around to putting the engine on the stand and ripping a good portion of it apart:

All i have to say is this is a very clean engine. Plus EVERYTHING has come off easier the expected. So, conclusion; this has been apart before not to long ago.

Also I picked up a good used TT 2.25" Down Pipe for $150 shipped (minus the short shift)

And a Rocco exhaust manifold $75 shipped. Pretty sweet deals i've been lucky to score!

Phill
                        Gekauft nicht gebaut!

Comment

lookin good Phill. clean it up and get it back together.
                          -Nick V-
                          Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
                          Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

Ok so i got around to ripping the engine apart. I've come to the conclusion that the pistons are worn. Sad, but true.

But the engine has a 178K on it. I plan to eventually turbo charge the project: anti-falcon, so Im going to purchase forged pistons with 10:1 ratio from Bahn Brenner. Again the turbo is later later on down the road. Maybe next winter.

This is the lip at the top of the cylinder that i was talking about.

The block it self is in great condition. Does any one know what those little things are in each cylinder?
                            Gekauft nicht gebaut!

Comment

Those are oil squirters. Good things right there.
                              Matt
                              DCC #0
                              ...we all started out with the same tools dream it, build it, breathe it.

Comment

Working...
                              X