Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Track Rat? (04/13/17 Back in the habit!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get this thread up to date. Here is where we were Spring of 2017:

Moving into trunk area there was a bunch of rust under the seat bracket thing.

Also made some panels to fill the space around the fuel cell

A few odds and ends left. Apparently cabbys don't really have drip rails so I was left with half a rail on the a pillar.

Experimented awhile and was able to bend up a replica. Bit of an origami project

Needs some finish work but at least if has the general shape of a rabbit.

Last edited by joezeeuw; 05-09-2018, 09:11 PM.
    Joe
    91 Jetta 16v
    78 Transporter
    www.germanautoltd.com
    I have a fender roller. Contact me if you'd like to rent it.

Comment

• Fall 2017:

The rear wheel wells were needing some work. Lots of rust and dents, needed to remove unneeded metal to optimize the flares, and the wells were an intersection of the old car and various ill fitting patch panels.

Back in the cabin I dedicated a Saturday to stripping remaining seam sealer, filling little holes, removing useless brackets, and finally seam welding everything.

Almost done

And that pretty much wraps up the major body repairs. I will not miss the rust dust boogers! There will be some more detail stuff once we know how it will all go together, and some dent repair and stuff I will leave for the more skilled hands of a body shop. For the most part though we ready to move on to more fun activities like bolting up some of the goodies we have been collecting.

One of the goodies, the brake bias box, does not bolt up. So I made this little adapter bracket.

It goes on like so:

Moving around to the other side of the pedal bracket I decided we needed a cool custom steering column

Some of the other parts for that are out for machine work. I'll will have more on the next update. We will also be working on getting these mounted.
      Joe
      91 Jetta 16v
      78 Transporter
      www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

• Winter 2018:

Got a few more things done. Here is the latest:

Seat brackets started as a chunk of rectangular tubing

Eventually had some nice little mounting tabs

All welded in. For some reason I committed to TIG welding the tubing in. This ended up requiring me to curl myself into a pretzel with one appendage operating the pedal and my face pressed against the floor. Good experience I guess. Notice the front tube goes sort of through the tunnel bracing. This was another detail that I thought would be cool but caused numerous headaches. I'm not complaining, just trying to rationalize why I have so much time invested in seat brackets.

And when it was all said and done we have some nicely fitting seats

Back to the steering column project. Got these parts back from the machine shop. A nice press fit to connect the OE splines and Sparco quick disconnect steering hub to the new steering shaft which is just a 3/4" tube.

Spent a long time finding the position we wanted then tack welded the upper bearing in place with some rod

Upper mount starting to take shape. The angle iron represents the edge of the dash

All welded up. A lot of planning went into this. I'm super excited about the way it turned out

I was also very excited to see how it fit with the cool Stack cluster than Ben had found at such a great price that I dropped it and broke the lens :banghead::banghead::banghead:. Still hoping I will go in the garage and find out it was all a bad dream.

One last major structural item was the front strut tops. I had already started boxing them but was waiting to see what we used for camber plates. We finally got the nerve up to order the ones we wanted so I just had to drill the holes and weld the top plates on

Very nice product

Thats all for now, lots more cool stuff to bolt up soon!

Joe
        91 Jetta 16v
        78 Transporter
        www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

• Spring 2018:

It's been a little while. Here is the latest

Notched the "frame" just in case

This NASCAR style door bar has always bothered us. Early on I had concluded it would be too much work or even impossible to go to a more common "x" style with the cage already welded in. We even bought a tubing bender so that we could repair a small section of it that was cut out during the front clip install. I was pretty dug in on the issue despite all the difficulties it added to getting in and out of the car as well as elbow room. Not to mention it is ugly and lacks symmetry. Since this broject has evolved to become a bit more "next level" than we had intended Ben convinced me to take a second look.

I took the plunge and cut it out. Also ordered some new welding gear to help getting into the tight spots

In the end it turned out great and I'm so happy I decided to go for it

Also added some bars between the main hoop and rear strut towers

These helped a ton

To wrap up the cage work I added some dimple dies. These seem to be all the rage in modern race cars but I tried to keep it to a minimum in keeping with the somewhat resto-mod vibe of the car.

Since that wraps the majority of the metal work I sprayed the bare metal with some white primer in an attempt to keep the rust to a minimum. Really brightens things up!

The next step is to start mocking up everything. The plan is to essentially build the car, then tear it all back apart for the body work. We also thought it would be particularly satisfying to have the car rolling after all this time.

First off you need suspension. We went with H&R RSS Clubsport coilovers. Built to order in Germany specifically for the mk1 race car.

Check back in the thread for all the details but it was a momentous occasion to finally bolt up the suspension parts Ben put together.

Geometry looks great!

Interior stuff got bolted in as well

The CAE shifter seems akin to BBS wheels to me. Highly functional and excellent quality but a bit of a "scene points" item. In any case it's beautifully made and I can't wait to row through the gears.

We had questioned the tire choice but options were very limited

I haven't been whoring these pics out because honestly I don't like the look. I know it's a race car and aesthetics shouldn't be that important but it's just too much sidewall for my tastes.

So the wheels and tires may undergo some changes. Not a big deal as there is still a ton more work to do. See you all in the fall.

Phew! all up to date. Ben should be fixing his pictures soon I'm sure. I really hope MIVE doesn't crash again because in the age of instant gratification this forum stuff really seems like a lot of work!:)
          Last edited by joezeeuw; 05-09-2018, 09:19 PM.
          Joe
          91 Jetta 16v
          78 Transporter
          www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

• Looks great! Where did all your pine trees go..?
            '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
            >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
            Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

• Originally posted by n0ftInc View Post
              Looks great! Where did all your pine trees go..?
              They fell ;)
              Joe
              91 Jetta 16v
              78 Transporter
              www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

• Great to see progress and with exceptional quality and attention to detail. Keep up the great work guys
                Michael
                I feel a lot more like I do right now than I did when I got here.
                1975 Scirocco / 2002 Forester / 1987 Cabby "Project Vertigloo"

Comment

• I would love to do a project like this.
                  Nick-
                  Focus ST- despite what Jake says......project

Comment

Working...
                  X