"But it's not a GTI"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But it's not a GTI"

and it's not really a project either, but since what I've been doing to it kinda qualifies it as a project I guess I'll post it here. :D:

Well it all started when I went to go look at both this and Chad's red 88 GTI. A week later after finding nothing else on the net that looked decent for less than 2k I ended up buying this. Got it home, next day started sanding at the bubbly spots, cut out rusty/thin metal. Day after that, cut new patches of sheet metal and welded them in (still can't weld, and my non-gas shielded MIG doesn't help that). Today, did some extremely quick bondo work that doesn't look good but better than weld beads...primered and painted, will be clearing later this week. I don't care too much how it looks, it's a driver and I will be driving the piss out of it!

Today I removed the instrument cluster and found out why the gauges didn't light up when I turned on the headlights-turns out that the bulbs in the top were burnt out. Instead of going on a massive search to find them I replaced them with an led strip that I purchased from Wal-mart, I ended up having to shave a little off of the cluster housing but it all fits in fine. Looks great, only complaint I have is that the connector for speedo cable is broken. Have JB weld on it curing now. Hopefully it will hold, when I took it apart at first it was held together with duct tape :ugh!:

pics:

1998 Firebird Formula LS1/M6, turd.
    1991 Jetta GL, gets gas mileage

Sweet, glad you found yourself a dub! I'll be watching this take shape.
    Henry | 97 Jetta | 07 Daily Rabbit | Fuelly

Comment

thats alot of cancer, i wish you luck in your playtime adventures. Whats the plan for use? daily driver?
      ~Jake

Comment

Yep, just a daily driver. It will endure all the rain/mud/salt and snow while my Formula sits nice and cozy in the garage. Likely the Jetta won't change much other than a plaid accented interior, stereo, and maybe wheels.

Comment

It will endure all the rain/mud/salt and snow
          may i suggest
          ~Jake

Comment

haha nice bought off chad. i love this car i took a good part in making this car look good including rubbing it out and washing everything from the inside to the outside. you got yourself a good deal... GL with project:) ill be looking forward to seeing what you get done to her...
            Zac- 2000 Honda accord coupe 5 speed f23a1"I'm gonna super poke you with a wobble bolt. In your f'n butthole" -Rich via facebook.

Comment

GTI's are play'd! ;)
              82 popatop gokart 95 JettaIII ABA, 81 Pickup, next up, S2 scirocco?
              "the difference between VW and women is that you know by the end of the day the VW will have F'ed you" Turner.

Comment

Awesome! I know what ya mean with a gasless weld. Kind of a pain. I bought one awhile ago and it took awhile to get used to welding with it. Glad to see ya got one though, have fun!
                Dave

Mk2 issues got you down? Got a question? PM me, and i'll try and help you out for what I can.

Comment

Originally posted by ojeeztutone View Post
                  GTI's are play'd! ;)
                  lol x2
                  Dave

Mk2 issues got you down? Got a question? PM me, and i'll try and help you out for what I can.

Comment

Not a good day today. Went to fire it up tonight after getting the dash back together and a "bang" shortly after firing. Turns out the timing belt idler pulley broke, and the bang was valves hitting pistons.

Hope it didn't do any damage, and I have no idea how to change the timing belt. Anyone have a walkthrough? I've already started going at it, starting to take accessory belts off. It looks like I have to remove the crank pulley?!

Comment

Sorry to hear that :-(

Most here will say getting yourself a Bentley manual is the best start. They have a wealth of repair and diagnostic information. You should just be able to loosen the tensioner pulley and slip it off, though IIRC it is a tight squeeze between the crank pulley and the power steering(?) Pulley. Might help to at least loosen one or the other.

Comment

How do I get the accessory belts/timing belt cover off? thing seems like it actually wraps around the crank pulley.

Comment

Hmm, yeah, uh, sorry. I'm so used to my car not having a timing belt cover that I sorta forgot about it :D:. Yes, the crank pulley must be removed to gain access to the timing belt. Once the pulley is off it should be pretty easy to figure out. This is an 8 valve right? If so, I'm pretty sure they are non interference engines. Doubt what you heard was valves hitting pistons. Somebody please correct me if needed.

Comment

So once I remove everything and get the timing belt cover off I can throw it on the ground and stomp on it and never worry about it again? I've heard they're non-interference engines too, but when I try to rotate the cam pulley around there's a solid stopping point which I'm pretty sure is where the valve meets a piston, but it might be where a cam lobe meets a rocker, which I'm hoping for!

Yes it's an 8 valve by the way. Is there any special way I'm supposed to pull the crank pulley? Should I use a puller or do I just remove all the bolts from it and yank it off of the crank?

Comment

Timing belt cover is good to have for an all season car. Mine didn't have it when I bought the car. I picked up a lower belt cover from another MIVE'er and have yet to install it. Should be four or six 6mm allen bolts to remove the first pulley, then a 19(ish?)mm 12 point socket to pull the second.

This is all from memory so don't quote me on it! The Bentley is much more accurate.

Comment

Working...
                              X