Finky's Jetta... held together with bubble gum and popsicle sticks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finky's Jetta... held together with bubble gum and popsicle sticks

I picked up this '98 Jetta GT for $350. It is an auto with 143,000 miles. A friend was going to scrap it and knew I was fixing up the Cabriolet and offered it to me. It has been driven through a fence and has an oil leak. This will be a refreshing to start and may turn into a build (or may turn into an aba donor for the cabby).
    I have already purchased a hood, head light, bumper cover, lip, drivers seat, and tail light at LKQ during the 1/2 off New Years sale (it helped that there were 4 black jettas). I have a line on 4 used doors, a used TT exhaust and a used cup kit (the more I read up on that I am unsure) for a good price.
    The dent in the roof has led to ice on the passenger floorboard so that will be removed and windshield resealed. The red mishap on the passenger side was from driving the car onto a tilt trailer, leaking oil with snowy, bald tires. The owner was a smoker so that will be addressed also. There is some rust but not too bad. Luckily most is on the parts that can be taken off and replaced. I need to stop the rust in front of the left rear tire.
    Snow tire setup will be transfered from the cabby for Winter. I may wait until Spring to put the new body parts on as this car may see some ice racing this Winter.
    I will start with autocrossing in H Stock and may work towards Street Touring class. This car will follow pretty much as the cabby is going.

Enough talk... onto the pics because that is all anyone looks at in these threads anyway:

Bumper Mod

I am a decade late to getting a photobucket account so I may put a lot of pics in as I play with that.

I pulled the air filter and it looks like it may have seen 143,000 miles. I bought a new Wix filter and cleaned up to the TB and the valve cover vent lines (oily-probably from not getting any air through the filter). I drained the nasty oil and pulled the oil filter off. I bought the 27mm socket to fix the leaking oil cooler gasket but did not have a 1/2 swivel so was stopped for the afternoon.
    Last edited by finky; 04-19-2013, 12:17 AM.
    1987 Red Cabriolet no clipper
    1998 Black Jetta GT
    Something that takes diesel... soon to be revealed

Things I need as I go along:
    2 black rust free fenders
    black trunk lid
    I would get new but I just don't feel like painting this car as the Cabriolet gets it first.

Link to thread when I found out I was getting the car:
    http://michiganvw.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64699
    1998 Black Jetta GT

Comment

Not bad. Could clean up decent
      -Nick V-
      Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
      Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how well you can take an obviously neglected auto and stomp on the autocross scene. Looks like a fun project :)
        Henry | 97 Jetta | 07 Daily Rabbit | Fuelly

Comment

Looks sweet I'm excited to see it out at furrin events!
          -Brad
          '02 BMW M3, '03 VW Jetta tdi, '87 BMW 325

Comment

Changing the oil cooler gasket without taking off the coolant lines in the snow is no fun at all. I got it off of the shaft finally. I then could not find the new gasket only to find it later after I cleaned up my tools.

I can now see why there was a thread, on the Vortex, telling people to change this thing in the fall.
            1998 Black Jetta GT

Comment

Hi Jeff, I have a foam filler that goes between the rebar and front bumper cover. Its yours if you want it. Rudy

Comment

Hey Rudy, Good to see you are on the site. I was just going to glue mine back together but I will take you up on it. I will let you know as I get closer to putting the new bumper cover on (I got a mint one from LKQ).
                1998 Black Jetta GT

Comment

I finally replaced the oil cooler gasket this weekend since the weather was better (sun and dry concrete just makes working on a car outside so much more enjoyable). There was a chunk out of the gasket. I drove the car up and down my road and the exhaust is LOUD (broken right before the suitcase) and there is a vacuum leak that I need to track down. It was nice not to leave a trail of oil everywhere. This project will gain some momentum now that I can actually drive it.

I also picked up a set of 14" steelies with 3 good tires from Kampfire that will make the car safer than the rusted metal threads coming out of the front tire. Does anyone have a 185/60/14 Warrior Fluent tire for sale to finish out the set?
                  1998 Black Jetta GT

Comment

Better hurry, you've got less than 2 months! ;)

Comment

I started pulling on the back of the midpipe to fix the exhaust and the rusted bolts before the cat just broke. I got them hammered out and now am going to get some s.s. bolts and rebuild the exhaust. I was just going to make it quiet but now that I have the cat loose I may just start building a performance exhaust. High flow cat and header and run in ST or keep the stock cat and run in H Stock... hmmm.

It is time to go to LKQ and scope out if there are any interesting exhaust diamonds in the rough.
                      1998 Black Jetta GT

Comment

I patched together the stock exhaust to get the car running for now. It is MUCH quieter than the uncorked 2.0l of fury. I replaced the vacuum lines and ran a can of seafoam through the vac system. I had my RX-7 parked behind the Jetta while the doing the process. After I got done smoking out the neighborhood the front of the 7 was covered with carbon splatter. I also picked up some parts from hojoe. We pulled off the fenders, grill and blinker lights from the Jetta he is parting (thanks Joe). I hope to finally get this thing plated and insured this week.
                        1998 Black Jetta GT

Comment

I must admit, Jeff, that I was happy to see this car registered for the autocross. I feel like that 3 speed slushbox might give me a chance at competing with you :)

Good work, glad to hear it's coming together!

Comment

I beat a lot of the Vette guys at a Corvette Club autocross when I took my wife's 3 speed auto '94 Plymouth Sundance a few year ago (you should have seen their faces). I actually don't mind racing autos. It is less to think about and you can focus more on driving, hitting the best line and keeping momentum.
                            Have seen me race the van? The auto in that never slowed me down.
                            1998 Black Jetta GT

Comment

It is on the road. I drove it for the first time Sunday. It NEEDS front wheel bearings. With the uncorked exhaust I had no idea how bad they were when I moved it. It needs brake work and suspension work too but I am just happy to be driving it finally. It is pretty peppy too but I want to be careful because I have no idea when (or if) the timing belt has ever been done. I need to do a lot of maintenance to get it ready for romping on it in parking lots.
                              After a call to the dealer, to get the code, and much reading on the Vortex I got the radio working. I finally figured out that I had to push the tune button many times to get it to work(most all of the threads said to just hold the scan and mode buttons). The previous owner even took it to a dealer and they could not figure it out.
                              1998 Black Jetta GT

Comment

Working...
                              X