Project XFlowGolf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project XFlowGolf

Sometime back around 2003 I convinced my girlfriend Jayme to drive with me down to Alabama so I could buy a rust free ABA swapped '88 Golf GL built by Jeffrey Bynum (who would later go on to build some PVW feature level VW's). It was my ride through college, the car I had when I joined MIVE, and the car which gave me the username I still use today. (ABA being a cross flow head design, intake on front, exhaust on back, as opposed to the earlier counter flow 8V head design). Here it was in it's prime gassing up before a MIVE track day at Gingerman.

After graduating from GVSU in '05, I sold it to Ben Zeeuw, who took great care of it, swapped on small Euro bumpers, but then it resold, and resold, and resold, and worked it's way down the consumption phase over a decade. That's where I found it, online For Sale, electrical problems, supposedly consuming oil, and not running looking far worse for wear. I went to see what it looked like in person. Hmmm.

Not quite how I remembered it...

I slept on it, but it kept coming back to my mind... The price ended up being too good, so I struck a deal and dragged it home. Thanks Turner for use of the tow rig.

So it begins.
    -Nick V-
    Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
    Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

back in good hands!
    Current: mk4 .:R32
    Past: mk5 .:R32(sold), Audi 90(sold), mk3 4dr Golf(sold), mk4 jetta(RIP)

-Cory

Comment

Whoa..nice!
      '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
      >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
      Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

You have your work ahead of you. There is nothing like a previously owned car to push you on to do it right.

In for Caprice pics .
        1987 Red Cabriolet no clipper
        1998 Black Jetta GT
        Something that takes diesel... soon to be revealed

Comment

There's definitely something about buying back a car. Outstanding work.
          Tuned and deleted Super Duty, An old Chevy with a Cummins, my wife's Volvo, a 5th wheel and a boat. I like to drink and work. My family is cool too.

Rob

Comment

I was wondering if you still had this on your mind and if you were going to get it.

Comment

Project XFlowGolf

A short while before buying this back, and a big influencer in my decision... I had bought another old MIVErs abandoned project. "Silverbeast", which was last touched around '05. It has a 2.0 16V from a B3 auto Passat, 5- speed Trans, and an incompletely tuned Megasquirt V2 setup. In a small world twist, it's an engine I actually yanked from the Passat and sold to the owner of this car a decade ago. So off we went again in the Caprice to drag it home.

A few free nights and yanked the drivetrain.

And now that shell is ready to find a new home.

So the plan is to yank the tired ABA, and install the 2.0 16V. In the process I'll clean things up a bit, rewire some things, and then use the car to learn Megasquirt tuning.

From 2, make 1. On a low budget.
              -Nick V-
              Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

Nice, was this a car stripped back the alley garage for the passat donor?

Comment

Originally posted by drew View Post
                  Nice, was this a car stripped back the alley garage for the passat donor?

The Passat was yes. In the old garage back off Watson on the westside.
                  -Nick V-

Comment

thats what I thought. I remember your golf very well. very cool to see you have this back.

Comment

I remember spotting the golf years back in Lansing. Looked good then, glad you got it back can't wait to see it come together.
                      Dameon-
                      11 Jetta SE
                      82 rabbit GTI

Comment

Awesome! I'm excited to see you tackle another project.
                        -doug
                        all/most/nothing

Comment

Do eeeeeeeeet. Finish it!
                          ~Jake

Comment

Yes! I was hoping you'd start a project thread
                            --paul--
                            MKV R32, 78' Suns Out Guns Out, 81' Caddy,
                            2012 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, Failure--Rollin on 20's

Comment

11's yet?