TEST

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Lola.....Long overdue update.... :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting a 911 like this keeps me up at night. Maybe someday! Beautiful car. Glad to see its getting used for what its made for.

Comment

Man I would have a hard time doing what you are doing, but I get why you are. looking forward to seeing what you do G.

Comment

Originally posted by drew View Post
        Man I would have a hard time doing what you are doing, but I get why you are. looking forward to seeing what you do G.
        Thank Drew! Why would you have a hard time with it? It's still just a car and I am not harming or modifying any of the original equipment from the car. Anything I change I either buy a replacement piece and modify that or I do not do any modification that cannot be reversed easily. This thing is not a concourse queen; it has some rust here and there and will eventually need a full restoration. So I am having fun with it until that day comes!

Now that I am at a computer I can type a bit more..... I also picked up some euro rear bumperettes which are much smaller and lighter than the huge US versions. Here is a comparison for you:

US on the left, Euro on the right

It does leave you with a hole on each side from the US version but I plan to run a euro plate (with the US over it during DD times) so the euro plate will cover the holes.
        Last edited by MillerMav; 01-06-2016, 08:57 AM.
        A big Ford 4x4, a Deeeeezle BMW and a air cooled flat six
        PCA# 2014080243

Comment

Another quick update.....

I got the passenger side door card wrapped. I went with a very understated weave fabric in the "browns" family of colors so that it matches the current interior. I have given up on new seats for this season and will just keep my eyes peeled for a set over the summer into the fall to work on over next winter.

Here is the finished first card with latch pull loop cover and window switch bracket from Appbiz. It came out pretty darn good I think. I still need to punch the screw holes and holes for the pull handle so that is the next order of business before mounting it to the door. I am going to finish the driver side door this weekend and then that project will be done.

Next up to bat are the wheels. I originally wanted to send them out and get professionally refinished but since I would eventually like to get different wheels on this car anyway I thought what is the point of spending the money! That being said I have always like the look of the early Fuch alloys (pre 1978) that had the polished petal area instead of all black centers which came from the factory on SC's and Carrera's. Sooooo I started that last Sunday when it was nice and warm outside. Got 3 petals done but the warmer weather next week on should get me out in the garage a few nights a week to finish them up and get rubber on them before March 21st (that's my goal at least)

Other than that; I have the March 21-25 off to get this thing street ready. I have new Bilsteins to install on all 4 corners (HD's up front, Sports in the back) and new pads/rotors for the rear as well. I will be removing the whole AC system that week and also fabricating/installing a new exhaust and the previously mentioned bumperettes on the back. The AC removal, bumperettes and exhaust change should shave about 100lbs from the car (mostly from the rear) which is always a bonus!
          Last edited by MillerMav; 03-03-2016, 08:34 AM.
          PCA# 2014080243

Comment

Damn, you have some work to do. I pity your aluminum dust buggers.

Everything is looking great so far.
            Ben Zeeuw
            1981 Rabbit Racer
            1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
            www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

Originally posted by zeeuwvw View Post
              Damn, you have some work to do. I pity your aluminum dust buggers.

Everything is looking great so far.
              Thanks Ben. I wear a mask when I am using the angle grinder (quick work of first couple steps) then remove it when hand sanding. Keeps the aluminum dust boogers at bay.
              PCA# 2014080243

Comment

Mmmmm aluminum boogers. The Euro bumperettes are a huge improvement. Even if u ran plugs or something, those ghastly US Spec bump goiters are too damn big.

does anybody just remove them entirely and plastic weld the holes shut?
                Last edited by xflowgolf; 03-03-2016, 04:11 PM.
                -Nick V-
                Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
                Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

recent updates?
                  Your friend Raven
                  92 Corrado VR6t
                  05 Audi A6
                  90 Miata (because racecar)

Comment

I guess it's been a while since I updated this thread!

Nothing much to say right now about progress in a project sense. I ran into a hiccup on install the bilsteins up front because I had the wrong gland nut for the strut body and had to search far and wide for new ones. Needless to say I finally got the bilsteins installed up front about 3 months ago. I haven't had it on the track since but I would imagine it would be better. The problem I was having at track days's is, without any rear wing, as I got better and better I also got faster and faster. This lead to weight transfer getting more extreme braking into a corner off of the back straight; without a tail to keep the ass planted the rear started to get really squirrely and light under heavy braking. So until there is a tail back there I probably won't be doing much track stuff.

Other than that; I recently acquired a proper industrial sewing (Pfaff 145) so I will probably end up tackling the interior sooner than later. I'm going to redo the door cards, new upholstery on the seats and new carpet/floor mats. Probably a leather/tweed mix on the seats and cards with loop pile carpet and mats. Some kind of tan/brown/earth tone type of thing. I've sort of been on a brown mixed with grey kick with clothing and I like it plus it keeps with the original intent of the car.

I'll try to be a little more studious in my updates now that I found the original thread.
                    PCA# 2014080243

Comment

Kick ass..looking forward to seeing some progress pictures!
                      '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
                      >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
                      Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Thanks for the update. Planning on keeping it awhile?
                        Joe
                        91 Jetta 16v
                        78 Transporter
                        www.germanautoltd.com
                        I have a fender roller. Contact me if you'd like to rent it.

Comment

Originally posted by joezeeuw View Post
                          Thanks for the update. Planning on keeping it awhile?
                          To be completely honest (as you know from offline conversations) I have gone back and forth about selling. The air cooled 911 market is still just bonkers right now and I could get almost double what I paid for the car 4 years ago and be about 10 grand away from MANY nice 997's which are definitely a bucket list Porsche for me.

That being said; I think I am going to hold on to it for a while now. I didn't drive it that much this summer which I feel terrible about but (1) we got a lot of rain this summer and living off of a dirt road I have to wait at least 2 days after a good storm to drive this thing or it is a mud ball (2) the kids are both getting older and into more things which means I have to drive them to more stuff and child seats do not fit very well in the back of this thing (yes they make specific child seats for old 911's but there's a line! haha!) and (3) this was the first summer where no upgrades/projects/whatever were done to the car. Sometimes I feel like just doing a little something in the spring kind of adds to the excitement of taking it out for a drive. So there was no "Ooooh I wonder what it's like to drive now that I did X". lol

As previously mentioned I picked up the new sewing machine and am going to spend the winter holed away in my basement working on mastering that thing with the hopes of starting with some floor mat's before spring. I've never had a proper set of mats for that car so I think it would be nice. Then I will probably move on to new carpet and I still have the shifter bushing upgrades to do from when I originally bought the car. Between that and possibly another cosmetic upgrade I hope that will inspire me to drive this thing a bit more often in 2019.
                          PCA# 2014080243

Comment

Life changes. You have a 911 in the garage. That's pretty cool.
                            Bad decisions make excellent stories.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by detvw View Post
                              Life changes. You have a 911 in the garage. That's pretty cool.
                              Couldn't agree more. It's probably why Nicole talks me out of selling it every time I bring it up. If I thought I could buy another one for what I paid for mine I would probably sell it and buy another in 4-5 years. But, I do own this thing outright. It's not costing me any money to have it sit in the garage; which is probably why I still hold on to it regardless of how little I drive it.
                              PCA# 2014080243

Comment

Working...
                              X