Newb oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb oil question

Not sure if this is the right section or not but I recently got a MKIV jetta 1.8T and found out the previous owner had been religiously running 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic in it, but I've read multiple places that VW's are pretty much strictly 0w-40 or 5w-40 is the fact that he ran the incorrect oil going to bite me in the ass and also would i be fine at this point switching to 0w-40 or is that going to cause problems. I dont really know too much about oil or side effects of the wrong weight so any help is greatly appreciated.

eh, thats not that big of a deal, oil weight depends on location and weather etc. Some guys swear by 0w-40, but that scares me that it starts at 0... especially in the winter (and some "internet" mechanics claim its better because its thinner and get to the top easier when the engine is cold) I just read 0 weight as "thin = no protection until it warms up) 5 30 or 5 40 should be just fine, Mobil 1 is a favorite as its one of the only oils in the US that is ACTUALLY synthetic lubricant, GTX full syn or syntex etc, is regular oil just pulverized down to tiny molecules, but not actually synthetic.

But oil is one of those huge internet debates that everyone thinks they know what theyre talking about few do (full disclosure- not a mechanic, just read alot), for sure tho, never use fram filters.
    ~Jake

Comment

So I should be good then continuing to run 5w-30 or should i switch to 5w-40 or 0w-30 and as for a fram filter i know well enough to stay away from those lol I'll probably run one of the larger OEM ones.

Comment

I believe mobile 1 5w-30 conforms to vw specs as a required oil.
        from the bently:
        Engine Oil Viscosity SAE 5W-40, SAE 5W-30

this is a tech service bulletin from alldata.
        Nick-
        Present:
        Audi S5, Audi Q5
        Past:
        B5 Passat, MKIII GTI Vr6, Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

On that list for VW502 mobil 1 it says 0w-40 or 5w-40

Comment

the dealer recommends castrol syn tech 5-40. on the back of the bottle it says it was formulated for BMW and audi/vw. that doesnt mean its the best oil around but thats what i run in my mk4 1.8t and it seems fine

Comment

Castrol is best for a VW but Mobil 1 ends up being cheaper and is just as good/better than Castrol (in general). Heres the thing to keep in mind: the motor was tested with Castrol. It was later found that sludging was a sever issue with the motor and the spec was updated to full synthetic. If the previous owner was already running Mobil 1 whether it was 10w-30 or not he was doing you a favor. I would suggest sticking with Mobil 1 has its typically better to stick with 1 brand. I would recommend putting spec weight in it. they carry it at autozone and advanced auto and usually have a special where if you buy it with the mobile 1 filter its like $30 which is'nt bad for a full synthetic oil change. The most important thing I can impress on you is to change your oil at a maximum of 5000 miles with synthetic and 3000 with non synthetic. That motor is prone to oil sludging and improper oil will destroy that motor. There are lawsuits against VW regarding this manner.
              Nick-
              Present:
              Audi S5, Audi Q5
              Past:
              B5 Passat, MKIII GTI Vr6, Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Thanks guys for the help I'll just stick with mobil 1

Comment

I run 5w-40 synthetic rotella-T in my 1.8t. love that shiz
                  1992 Ford explorer sport (winter beater)
                  1994 Honda CBR 600 F2 (Most fun vehicle I've ever owned)
                  1967 Camaro SS (Awesome car but super unreliable)

Comment

Originally posted by npater01 View Post
                    Heres the thing to keep in mind: the motor was tested with Castrol. It was later found that sludging was a sever issue with the motor and the spec was updated to full synthetic. If the previous owner was already running Mobil 1 whether it was 10w-30 or not he was doing you a favor.... There are lawsuits against VW regarding this manner.
                    This.

Run what you want from here on out but the fact that he ran full synthetic on normal intervals is a very good thing.
                    -Nick V-
                    Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
                    Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

Originally posted by vramateur View Post
                      eh, thats not that big of a deal, oil weight depends on location and weather etc. Some guys swear by 0w-40, but that scares me that it starts at 0... especially in the winter (and some "internet" mechanics claim its better because its thinner and get to the top easier when the engine is cold) I just read 0 weight as "thin = no protection until it warms up) 5 30 or 5 40 should be just fine, Mobil 1 is a favorite as its one of the only oils in the US that is ACTUALLY synthetic lubricant, GTX full syn or syntex etc, is regular oil just pulverized down to tiny molecules, but not actually synthetic.

But oil is one of those huge internet debates that everyone thinks they know what theyre talking about few do (full disclosure- not a mechanic, just read alot), for sure tho, never use fram filters.
                      I've been running 0-40 the entire life of my car (10 years) and I've had zero problems. It starts better in the winter, and in general runs very well. I've got almost 130,000 on the car now. To say "0 = thin and no protection until it warms up" is a little silly to me. Good discussion on winter oil: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2373381
                      2001 Reflex Silver GTi wun point 8 tee

Comment

At our shop, the guide recommends a 5w-30 for my '01 1.8T. I've been using that in a full synthetic and had zero problems.
                        1976 Honda GL1000 - Resto project
                        1989 GMC K2500 - 'Murica
                        2001 GTI - Because I couldn't leave it alone.

Comment

I ran Mobil 1 5w-30 in my A4 after having to replace half the oil system to sludge a week after i bought it ....the previous owner of my car was an ASS
                          1998 MK3 Golf GTI 2.0l
                          Traded = 1988 MK2 Golf GTI 16v
                          RIP = B5 99.5 Audi A4, 1.8t.
                          NOW WITH VAG COM
                          me fail english...thats un-possible

Comment

I run 10w-30 because I get it for free (family dairy farm for the win), but I've considered buying my own and switching to 5w-40.
                            -Noah
                            '95 Wolfsburg Cabrio, '90 Wolfsburg Jetta.
                            Apprentice Shimologist.
                            "Everybody should drive a Mini; everyone should own a Mini at some point or you are incomplete as a human being." -James May

Comment

Working...
                            X