TEST

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know a CIS expert who makes house calls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know a CIS expert who makes house calls?

My '84 GTI catches but then quickly stalls. My meager skills are exhausted. I'd love to hire someone to come to my Ann Arbor house at night and fix it while I work on other things. Then I can learn a little bit. my garage is heated, btw, and I've got a lift.This is probably a far fetched fantasy, but it couldn't to ask. Anyone know of someone who might be interested?Larry [email protected]

I haven't worked on cis in a while but I would check the idle stabilizer valve and the hall effect sensor in the distributor. Does the tach needle drop before it dies or after?
    1993 100 Avant quattro gone but will be remembered fondly.
    2001 S4 Gone.

2009 BMW 135i A traitor in VAG land..

Comment

make sure the vacuum tube going into the throttle boot is still in the boot...I got a free car that way once!
      '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Comment

Thank for the tip. It runs for.like a second, thats it. I crank it, the engine catches immediately and then immediately dies. I did find and fix a vacuum leak, but so far no dice. How do you check the idle stabilizer valve?

Comment

Are you sure it's getting enough fuel?
          Ben Zeeuw
          1981 Rabbit Racer
          1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
          www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

Originally posted by lwebster View Post
            Thank for the tip. It runs for.like a second, thats it. I crank it, the engine catches immediately and then immediately dies.

that is what mine would do, then i found a metal pipe that was not in the boot by the throttle body, it was a big enough leak to keep the metering plate from lifting enough to keep the car running. what you could do is try to lift the plate a little bit while trying to start, also maybe there isnt enough flow from the pump....its hard to tell without seeing/hearing/looking, if i wasn't so damned swamped i could swing by.....maybe in the next couple weeks
            '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Comment

check the fuel distributer relay ive had a few of these car with cis all ran like shit when i got them ended being the problem everytime
              87 vr6 Drop top cabby
              90 k1500 Jacked up 10in lift
              1999 Chevy tahoe 2 door (Daily Drive)
              GF's Lifted 98 dodge ram 1500

Comment

Originally posted by laxman1306 View Post
                check the fuel distributer relay ive had a few of these car with cis all ran like shit when i got them ended being the problem everytime
                There's a distributor relay? Or do you mean pump relay? I've had 2 fuel pump relays die on me.
                1984 VW Jetta GLI
                1997 BMW M3
                1998 BMW 318i (wife's DD)
                2001 Ford Focus ZX5
                1986 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 (wife's toy) (sold)

Comment

A little update: It was a long saga, but I did get my GTI running well. The bummer was I paid a mechanic—THE local VW expert—who gave it back to me and said it needed a new fuel distributor. I had the feeling that he was simply throwing parts at it at that point and didn't really know what was wrong (he did find that the #4 injector was bad and as the WUR, but it started up fine).

Long story short, the frequency valve wasn't hooked up (the mechanics said, "I thought that was on purpose"). I eventually traced the problem to a rusted frequency valve relay. I pried it out, powered the right terminals and now the car runs beautifully.

Thanks all for your help. I went through quite a bit with this, so if I can help someone else, let me know.
                  Larry

Comment

Working...
                  X