86 Scirocco trans issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 Scirocco trans issues

It appears that I have an issue with my transmission. The shift selector will only go to 5th gear and neutral. The linkage is disconnected and the selector will go to the driver side, and middle, but not to pass side. It will not go into the trans at all which would be the other gears.
    Last edited by verboten1; 07-15-2018, 11:13 AM.
    '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Sounds like you need to tear that puppy apart. I can't imagine anything that won't require a full rebuild. I'm no tranny expert though.
    Ben Zeeuw
    1981 Rabbit Racer
    1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
    www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

What Ben said x 2. Have you aligned the shift linkage per the Bentley? Got all the old sloppy shift linkage bits swapped out? Trans making any self-grinding noises? I may have a spare JH trans in my parts stash, but I'm in FTW IN, probably way too far south to help - but I;ll check tomorrow anyways...

Comment

Originally posted by zeeuwvw View Post
        Sounds like you need to tear that puppy apart. I can't imagine anything that won't require a full rebuild. I'm no tranny expert though.
        That's my guess, based on my research it may have been overshifted, but also the 5th gear end cap sat unbolted with weight on the mount so it easily could have screwed something up.

Originally posted by buzbomb View Post
        What Ben said x 2. Have you aligned the shift linkage per the Bentley? Got all the old sloppy shift linkage bits swapped out? Trans making any self-grinding noises? I may have a spare JH trans in my parts stash, but I'm in FTW IN, probably way too far south to help - but I;ll check tomorrow anyways...
        This is with the linkage completely disconnected and only using the selector lever at the trans. I have found another for now, but I would be interested in picking up a working spare pending the cost. I work at the FTW GM plant often.
        '98 Beetle: PURPLE ---'03 Jetta TDI: my new daily --'01 GTI VR6: my new toy --'75 CB550F: Cafe Frankenbike ---'82 XV920: The Cruiser ---'99 Ninja 250 ---'00 KLR685

Comment

You need a 4K trans? I have one!

-Tom
          '88 16v Scirocco project - on hold

Comment

If you can take the big threaded cover out opposite the selector shaft the whole selector shaft will slide out. That might help determine what you are dealing with.
            Joe
            91 Jetta 16v
            78 Transporter
            www.germanautoltd.com
            I have a fender roller. Contact me if you'd like to rent it.

Comment

Originally posted by joezeeuw View Post
              If you can take the big threaded cover out opposite the selector shaft the whole selector shaft will slide out. That might help determine what you are dealing with.
              Thanks joe. I have a replacement engine and trans to go in, but I hope to figure this one out for a spare.

Comment

Working...
              X