1998 Cabrio Remote Keyfob Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Cabrio Remote Keyfob Question

So my little fixer-upper project is taking me deeper and deeper as I peel away the layers of fix-ups.

Today, my replacement keyfob (didn't get one when I bought the car) came in the mail.

When I went to program it, I didn't get past step three.

Depending on the instructions I am to follow, the instructions were:
    (this set of instructions came with the remote, and sound wrong)
    1. Put key in ignition and turn it as far as you can w/o starting the car
    2. Exit the car and ensure all doors/hood/trunk are closed
    3. Lock the car on driver's side.
    4. Press any button on new remote, release button and pause for 1 second. Press teh same button a second time and release.
    5. A tone will sound from the horn confirming the process.

or

1. Switch ignition to ON (as far as it goes without starting).
    2. Step out of vehicle and close doors and truck/hatch.
    3. Using second key in driver door, turn key to UNLOCK and hold for 10 seconds or until horn sounds 3 times.
    4. Press unlock/disarm on first remote (alarm horn will briefly sound once to confirm).
    5. Turn and hold the key in driver door to the unlock position (within 10 seconds the horn will sound 3 times).
    6. Step in vehicle and switch ignition to OFF.

The second set sounds familiar (had to program one for my old 1998 Jetta before).

The problem is, when I turn the key to unlock for ten seconds, I never get the horn sounding 3 times. So I would say it isn't a remote issue as I never get to that step.

The car unlocks fine at all doors w/ a turn of the key and alarm is armed by key as well.

I read somewhere that an aftermarket stereo can cause issues with this as well. This car has a cheesy aftermarket head unit. Could that be an issue?

I appreciate all the assistance I have gotten here. This is a good little car that will be great once I get all of these little issues squared away.
    2015 BMW 435i
    2013 BMW F800r
    2004 BMW z4

The second way is how I do it in my Corrado I think..check Vortex. Aftermarket HU shouldn't matter..
    '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
    >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
    Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Key in the ignition, in on position, second key in driver's door lock. Turn to either lock or unlock and hold it til you hear the three beeps. Press button on each remote once, turn ignition off. The only variant of this would be to turn the key in the drivers door to unlock/lock position until beeps are heard again.
      06 Town and Country, 65 Falcon Deluxe Wagon DD, 64 Falcon convertible
      "Speed has never killed anyone - suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear
      "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx View Post
        Key in the ignition, in on position, second key in driver's door lock. Turn to either lock or unlock and hold it til you hear the three beeps. Press button on each remote once, turn ignition off. The only variant of this would be to turn the key in the drivers door to unlock/lock position until beeps are heard again.
        Thanks guys. Going to have a go at it during daylight hours today (as if that matters).

Can't seem to get three beeps so far (or any beeps) though. I think one of my keys is the valet key. Could that stop me from being able to program? Grasping at straws here.
        2015 BMW 435i
        2013 BMW F800r
        2004 BMW z4

Comment

Haha! My car didn't come with remote entry...
          2015 BMW 435i
          2013 BMW F800r
          2004 BMW z4

Comment

Working...
          X