1.8t ticking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8t ticking sound

so as i type this i am sitting at the vw dealership i got a oil change 2 days ago and after it i noticed that my motor was ticking really bad when the car was fully heated up. the sound is coming from the head, if i rev the motor it stops the noise for a few seconds then it goes rite back to ticking. the people at the dealership said it was because i was using a durablend 50/50 oil that caused sludge buildup. the strange part of the noise is that it will only do it after a long drive like after 10 miles of full operating temp driving. one vw employee said that it was for sure sludge buildup(parts guy) the next (service guy) said that they haven't had any problems with the JETTA 1.8t engines just the passat 1.8t. as far as sludge buildup goes the car is a 2001 jetta 1.8t aww engine code. I'm really not feeling any Volkswagen love any advice would be great. and somewon coming to look at the car and throw there 2 cents in would be even better. if anywon wants my name is ryan my number is (231)-735-4906 give me a call if you can come check out the car in the traverse city area oh yeah and the oil pressure light is not on! and hasent come on at all

Sludge wouldn't necessarily cause the oil light to come on but could cause a stuck lifter. What grade and type of oil are you running? It may just need a treatment of Seafoam.

FWIW I run 0-40 full synthetic Mobil One in my '01 GTI 1.8t AWW.

Comment

Had a simmilar issue with our 1.8t.
      Still waiting on a 3/8ths extension before I can drop the pan. (I'm worried my oil pickup is clogged.)

Oil light came on, oil was a bit low.
      My dad filled it up with oil, drove fine to work.

On his way home the oil light came back on, thinking it was low again, he put more in.
      Started to tick and lost all power.

AFAIK, the Golf/Jetta 1.8t's didnt have sludge problems.
      ?\_(ツ)_/?

Comment

Still can sludge up in other cars besides passats(1.8t's) but usually run slightly cooler and better turbo oil feed line routing/location(less oil melt down).Pick-up tube cleaning/replacement easy way to start.

Comment

It sounds like lifters to me. The reason its after warm up is because your oil thins when heats up. You hit the gas it increases oil pressure and pumps the lifters back up. You can try the sea foam but I don't think its going to work. You will likely need to pull and clean/ or replace them. You could try a different oil but that would only be putting a band-aid on the problem (unless you tried a high detergent oil Maybe that would help) good luck.
          Nick-
          Present:
          Audi S5, Audi Q5
          Past:
          B5 Passat, MKIII GTI Vr6, Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by jcpahman77 View Post

FWIW I run 0-40 full synthetic Mobil One in my '01 GTI 1.8t AWW.
            Same here.
            2001 Reflex Silver GTi wun point 8 tee

Comment

I had 7000 miles on mine when the water pump and head gasket went (unrelated to the oil) and it was barely begging to turn dark. The service interval is 10,000 which more than makes up for the difference in oil price since that oil ain't cheap. Now I get to do the change early, boo.

Comment

ok after a few more miles on the castrol syntech 5 w 40 im going to switch to the mobil one 0 w40 and see if that helps any and also what brand of high detergent oil should i use?? and the mobil one is good for 10,000 miles between changes!?

Comment

umm rotella-t maybe?
                  ~Jake

Comment

Syntech should be fine in there..that's what I put in our MK4s. I'm with lifters.
                    '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
                    >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
                    Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

I never use high-mileage/high-detergent oils. What I recommend is giving it a full Seafoam treatment and running the Mobile One with a good filter such as a Mann or Purolator.

Comment

Originally posted by n0ftInc View Post
                        Syntech should be fine in there..that's what I put in our MK4s. I'm with lifters.
                        so what replace the lifters?

Comment

Originally posted by jcpahman77 View Post
                          I never use high-mileage/high-detergent oils. What I recommend is giving it a full Seafoam treatment and running the Mobile One with a good filter such as a Mann or Purolator.
                          QFT

Comment

Originally posted by chingbao View Post
                            ok after a few more miles on the castrol syntech 5 w 40 im going to switch to the mobil one 0 w40 and see if that helps any and also what brand of high detergent oil should i use?? and the mobil one is good for 10,000 miles between changes!?
                            No oil is good for that long. Maybe half that for change intervals unless of course you want to try and push it. Especially with 1.8t sludge issues I would change it every 3-5K miles.
                            Matt
                            DCC #0
                            ...we all started out with the same tools dream it, build it, breathe it.

Comment

Originally posted by d bot View Post
                              No oil is good for that long. Maybe half that for change intervals unless of course you want to try and push it. Especially with 1.8t sludge issues I would change it every 3-5K miles.
                              I was referring to the service interval listed in the owners manual, unless of course I read it wrong. I have ~7500 miles on the oil in the GTI right now and it's only just starting to darken. Of course, with a blown head gasket and the motor torn apart for as long as it has been I have no choice but to change the oil, regardless of how many miles it has on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X