Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '94 Passat Wagon--Timing belt?

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a 94 Passat GLX Wagon. Guy selling it has no idea when or if the timing belt has been replaced. 115,000 Miles on the car now. Wondering if anyone has any idea when that might go out on this model. Thanks.
    Chris

'98 B5 Wagon 1.8T, '78 Westy, '82 Caddy

A glx is a vr6 as far as I know. The chains are due now (on extended life already ha). It is an involved job. Most shops charge $1300+. Parts alone are ~$300 if you are handy with a wrench, but be advised you have to drop the trans to access the chains, which is why so much labor is charged.

Assuming it's a 5-speed it's a good idea to do the clutch since it's all apart anyways, and the water pump should be done when the chains are done.
    Last edited by xflowgolf; 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM.
    -Nick V-
    Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
    Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

well, if its a GLX with a VR6, it doesn't have a timing belt. It has a timing chain that is on the trans side of the motor and is pretty expensive to have a shop change $1500-2000 parts a labor. You can get all the parts needed for about $300-500. if its a manual you're going to want to do a clutch at the same time and other miscellaneous stuff as well, so add some $$ onto that as well. Not an easy or "cheap" job.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys, awesome. The car is in excellent condition structurally and mechanically as far as I can tell. Its gonna be hard for me to turn down so maybe I'll low ball him a bit and throw some of your knowledge at him. Thanks again.
        Chris

Comment

Use it to get the price negotiated down. Also, fyi there's competent vw mechanics on mive who can do the work as a side job for half what a shop charges if you are not up to the task yourself.
          -Nick V-
          Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
          Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

Definitely will. It's a "dealer" (Division ave) listing it at KBB suggested dealer price. He said it's probably going to go to auction soon and if I knew where this auction was being held I would totally pass this up now and be at that auction. This thing has been babied... clearly well taken care of. It's the unknown of the timing chain that is killing me. I'd probably offer a couple hundred below KBB private party. What do you think? What do you think something like this would pull at an auction?
            Chris

Comment

This one I take it..?
              http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ctd/2232712687.html

There is this one too for a similar price/miles..
              http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2239085949.html
              '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
              >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
              Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

If I were you, I'd snag Matt's for a better price that has the chains done and is ready to rock..
                http://michiganvw.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65146
                '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
                >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
                Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Yes, this first one. Drove it tonight...very nice.
                  Chris

Comment

That looks pretty nice. If it's at a dealer, you might be able to check the service records via carfax. if they say it's going to auction soon, that's another reason they will accept a lowball offer.
                    Bad decisions make excellent stories.

Brian

Comment

Getting the VIN slipped my mind until minutes after I drove away. Duh. Grr.
                      Chris

Comment

Dude, I loved my b3. If that black wagon had been around when I sold my sedan, I would have been all over it :D: If you're handy at all, there's tons of info on how to do the work on it. That price seems kind of high, though. Make sure the windows (regulators) work well and the door handles are in good shape, both are known to suck and fail.
                        -CHRIS-

'09 JSW 2.5 - Mine
                        '10 JSW TDI - Hers

Comment

Thanks Chris. One of the door handles doesn't work (can use this against his high price). I am not extremely handy, but my dad and dad in law are quite. Windows work fine, for now. Ha. KBB Private party suggest is like $2800. Offer him 2500?
                          Chris

Comment

If it's a front handle, really play it up. Those are a pita, and hard to find too. I bet if you walked in and waved 2200 in their faces, they'd let it go.
                            -CHRIS-

'09 JSW 2.5 - Mine
                            '10 JSW TDI - Hers

Comment

Working...
                            X