P0341 - camshaft position sensor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P0341 - camshaft position sensor

Got all of my codes taken care of except this one. This is a new sensor as of when I swapped the motor. The car starts on first crank so I have ruled out timing for the most part. I have also checked all my my timing marks just to make sure. I am thinking this may be a harness issue? Anyone ever went to war with this problem?
    96 GTI 3.1l 12v

If this is your 2.0, then your belt is off a tooth and more than likely your harmonic balancer has slipped. You need to set timing off the flywheel.
    06 Town and Country, 65 Falcon Deluxe Wagon DD, 64 Falcon convertible
    "Speed has never killed anyone - suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear
    "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't, you are right" - Henry Ford

Comment

on the VR6.. I set the time before I parked it in the fall, new chain, new rails, new tensioner bolt, new cams.. I think I have drove it a total of 5 miles.. I also checked the TDC to flywheel mark and it is dead on.
      96 GTI 3.1l 12v

Comment

Is it the right sensor? I think between things like a mkiv and mk3 obd2/1 they are all different also the camshafts are different, so if you're mixing and matching all that stuff you could be throwing codes because the distance between the sprockets and the sensor are all goofed.
        90 Audi Coupe Quattro 20vt
        08 VW Touareg - VR6
        14 Audi A7 - TDI
        17 Audi allroad

Comment

That might be it, I have 2 different ECU's with 2 different chips.. But it looks like the harness was for a OBD1 and the last person who owned the car... "hint hint matthew!" Decided to splice in the newer OBD2 Plug.. I have a valve cover for both styles and both harnesses.. I am pretty sure when I first put in the CPS I did not have this code being thrown... Could it be a faulty ground?
          96 GTI 3.1l 12v

Comment

is the code a bad sensor or not reading correct values? if it said open sensor i'd say ground, if it's saying values to low or high, i'd say it was the earlier assessment. that's just my guess from some previous knowledge, good luck.
            08 VW Touareg - VR6
            14 Audi A7 - TDI
            17 Audi allroad

Comment

Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
              96 GTI 3.1l 12v

Comment

Originally posted by whitelite420 View Post
                Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Implausible Signal
                That means what, it's getting a reading, but one it doesn't think is correct? So yeah, i'd make sure your camshaft sprocket, matched to the cover on the head, matched to the sensor, matched to the ECU OBD version are all correct.
                08 VW Touareg - VR6
                14 Audi A7 - TDI
                17 Audi allroad

Comment

I will tear it down and check it out and report back. I could have swore this just started recently though, after first drive when I dropped in the new motor all I had was a "Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve" because that chip did not have it programmed out. I think this would be something new as of after winter.. This car is giving me a headache..
                  96 GTI 3.1l 12v

Comment

Yeah man... tracking down any sort of electrical issue sucks... Again I'm not saying I'm correct, it's just my beset hypothesis i could come up with.
                    08 VW Touareg - VR6
                    14 Audi A7 - TDI
                    17 Audi allroad

Comment

Well I have had grounding problems since I picked up the car. Just sitting for a week or two will drain the battery. I just got around to picking up some 4 gauge stranded copper and bolting down a few grounding points and cleaning up the existing connections... Who did the last motor swap in this car Frankensteined the top harness and I have no idea why.. Maybe the jetta they got the VR out of was OBDI, What is the easiest way to tell what ECU is OBD1/2... I have access to vag-com at a buddies shop if I need it..
                      96 GTI 3.1l 12v

Comment

If you scanned it, it's OBD2. OBD1 usually uses blink codes.

That being said it doesn't mean you don't have some older sensors though. I wish someone else would pipe in to check my work, I don't want to be feeding you lies or misguiding you haha.
                        08 VW Touareg - VR6
                        14 Audi A7 - TDI
                        17 Audi allroad

Comment

No biggie I appreciate any input.. I am not quite sure what they were doing by splicing off and using a different style sensor.. I have both sensors but if I remember you have to replace the side chain cover to make it fit correctly >.<
                          96 GTI 3.1l 12v

Comment

Here is what I have with a OBD2 ECU.. This is what they hacked the harness up to install

96 GTI 3.1l 12v

Comment

Okay, that's a MKIV plug. So they clipped the wires to use a MKIV cam sensor, which is different than a MK3 due to the cam sprocket being different between the two. The pickup is different.

So you need to make sure you have a mk3 cam sprocket, mk3 sensor and mk3 plate... Or, have a mkiv cam sprocket, mkiv plate, and use that sensor.
                              08 VW Touareg - VR6
                              14 Audi A7 - TDI
                              17 Audi allroad

Comment

Working...
                              X