95 Jetta vrt major oil leak.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Jetta vrt major oil leak.

Ok, so I'm on my second rebuild (long story) on my vrt. Upon the first start, there was a major oil leak coming from what appears to be the timing chain cover. I pulled that tranny, clutch, flywheel etc...replaced the rear main seal, re-rtv'd the cover (on the block only not the head...yet) put it all back together all to find out, it is doing the same thing. I'm having a very hard time believing that I made the same mistake twice and that I can't get that cover to seal. When i pulled the dust cover on the trans and looked in there, it was definitely pouring out from inside the bell housing. It may be coming down from the head but it didn't look like it when I pulled the trans. I am using a 9:1 head spacer with a metal mk4 gasket...any suggestions would be great! Note: the first time I rebuilt this motor and put it back together, I didn't use any gasket maker and it didn't leak...Atleast if it did, it was miniscule in comparison. Thanks again...end of novel.

Galley plug perhaps? I had one that wasn't set right before and experienced a similar scenario..mine wasn't a VR though.
    '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
    >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
    Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

It is leaking a significant amount of oil within seconds of starting. I had c-tech do all the maching, assembled the long block and timed it...I just had the easy job of bold on stuff and install. Are there even oil galleys located on the block where the bell housing meets the block? It looked like it was coming from the cover towards the top on the front side of the motor...and judging by what side of the bell housing was wet etc...I'm guessing it coming from the same spot...

Comment

C-Tech did that block for me too..hehe.

Comment

Ha. Well in your opinion, what would be the best thing to do? I'm not really feeling like I want to pull that trans again. It wasn't the easiest thing b/c I did it all in the engine bay lol I guess I just need some direction b/c I have no idea what to do at this point...never had an issue like this.

Comment

I had an issue on my VR when I had to pull the upper timing cover to reseal. I didn't re apply the small non hardening sealer in the 2 half holes that stick out from the head and it leaked from there. This was on top of the trans though, so not inside the bell housing area. I just rebuilt my motor over the winter, and aside from the rear main, and the gasket maker on the lower timing cover I can't think of any other place it could leak oil from inside the bell housing. This is a 3.2 24V... Unsure if it's different on a 12v.
            '04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T 6MT
            '04 VW R32T

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure...it has me stumped. Being that it's going to be cold and snowy I was considering taking it to a shop? Any ideas? I realize it's not going to be cheap...I'm just lost as far as what else I can do...

Comment

This is one photo I took after the first start and it leaked like a stuck pig. Pulled trans...this is what I saw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't really see any oil on the picture. What's the highest point that is wet?
                  Ben Zeeuw
                  1981 Rabbit Racer
                  1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
                  www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

You can the oil on the block following the chain cover...it's the only pic I have I believe. I know it's kind of hard to see but it follows the cover all the up atleast to where the bell housing bolts up. Yoy can kind of see where it trailed down that as well... just not sure what to do at this point.

Comment

Yeah I also can't really see in the photo where the oil is. Wish it was easy to start the car with the trans off to really get a good look at it eh lol.

Edit: Where are you pulling oil feed from? I had an issue on mine with the large banjo fitting HPA provided to do oil feel off the upper tensioner. I had to give it an extra little torque to keep it from leaking oil there. But on mine that's on the rear of the head so if it was dripping more from the front side I'm not sure that would be the case. Don't think mine leaked from the bell housing in that case either.. but just another thought.
                      '04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T 6MT
                      '04 VW R32T

Comment

It was brand new oil so it is kind of hard to see...I'll see if I can't doctor it a bit and make it more visible. As far as the where the oil coming out, again I'm not 100% sure. My feed line to the turbo I run from the top of the oil filter housing. I used a fitting that I could run a line and still use my sensor :) that, miraculously is dry.

Comment

Maybe this may help? ...idk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

..I'm sticking with galley plugs.

Comment

Seems like they like to leak where the upper timing cover, lower timing cover and head gasket meet. Is it dry up there?
                              Ben Zeeuw
                              1981 Rabbit Racer
                              1998 Audi Avant Grocery Getter
                              www.germanautoltd.com

Comment

Working...
                              X