95 Jetta vrt major oil leak.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeeuwvw View Post
    Seems like they like to leak where the upper timing cover, lower timing cover and head gasket meet. Is it dry up there?
    As far as I could tell, yes it was dry. The top of the bell housing is dry as well. I thought about doing the top cover again...but I truley believe it's not that...so frustrated! Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think this is obvious by your photo but just to make it clear, you don't have any oil on that actual lower timing cover correct? Just on that left side on the block itself?
      '04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T 6MT
      '04 VW R32T

Comment

Originally posted by Aku View Post
        I think this is obvious by your photo but just to make it clear, you don't have any oil on that actual lower timing cover correct? Just on that left side on the block itself?
        Yes. Cover was pretty dry for the most part. Main seal was pretty dry as well. It looked like it was creeping up toward the head gasket but the outside of the bell housing was dry...it was only coming out of the dust cover. So you think those oil galleys are the issue then? It kind of looks like it...I just don't want to pull this damn thing apart again if I don't have to :)

Comment

is that a gasket or sealer?

Comment

Originally posted by cgarr View Post
            is that a gasket or sealer?
            Rtv. Silicon. They don't make gaskets for it which is ridiculous to me. I'm sure there's some reason though...

Comment

Those covers are very thin and can bend when installing the crank seal or removing it if not supported. you might try the silver gasket sealer VW uses for their oil pans that's what I used on mine. SG stocks it:

Comment

Originally posted by cgarr View Post
                Those covers are very thin and can bend when installing the crank seal or removing it if not supported. you might try the silver gasket sealer VW uses for their oil pans that's what I used on mine. SG stocks it:
                Sorry it's been a few days...I made sure that when installing, there was a nice bead of gasket maker around the perimeter of the cover after tightening down. Given that info, I thought it would seal...

Comment

Working...
                X