Another MK6 (VW CC) bit by the timing chain tensioner failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another MK6 (VW CC) bit by the timing chain tensioner failure

Sooo, it happened last year and the car has been sitting in my driveway since. It happened as I started the car up. It just clattered to a stop. On the second crank, it made a sound I have heard before; the sound of no compression. My question is, does anyone have any idea of what this would cost to fix? The car is a 2010 with about 121K on it, and I am debating on repairing it, or selling the car, BT kit, everything I have for VW along with it. If this was an MKIV, I would have ripped it apart, fixed it, and been driving it already. I would love to do the repair myself, but I have a degree of concern on working on these engines.
    2010 Volkswagen CC Sport

Don't these have the cams with the pressed on lobes as well, so those often get ruined/spin when they crash as well? Bummer.
    -Nick V-
    Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
    Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

I'll know more once I start ripping into it. I'm tempted to just get a boneyard engine and swap that in, once I replace the chain tensioner. Seems like the cheapest route that I can go at this point.
      2010 Volkswagen CC Sport

Comment

A firned of mine @ work recently sold a B6 A4 Avant that had this happen to it 2 days after he sold it... Buyer beware!

Comment

ill make a really long story short. find a good used engine on ebay with a warranty and swap it in. i bought an engine with 26k and it included intake, exhaust, and turbo. This is 25% of the amount of work it takes to swap in a new head and costs much less in the long run.

Comment

Working...
          X