'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure

LAKE CITY, Ga. (AP) — More than 1,800 people showed up to help ABC's Extreme Makeover team demolish a family's decrepit home and replace it with a sparkling, four-bedroom mini-mansion in 2005.

Three years later, the reality TV show's most ambitious project at the time has become the latest victim of the foreclosure crisis.

After the Harper family used the two-story home as collateral for a $450,000 loan, it's set to go to auction on the steps of the Clayton County Courthouse Aug. 5. The couple did not return phone calls Monday, but told WSB-TV they received the loan for a construction business that failed......

.....Materials and labor were donated for the home, which would have cost about $450,000 to build. Beazer Homes' employees and company partners also raised $250,000 in contributions for the family, including scholarships for the couple's three children and a home maintenance fund.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...r_N.htm?csp=34

Greedy people.
    - 1995 Jetta (Harlequin)
    - 2001 Jetta (Stormtrooper)

Kyliak - "Why because the condom failed that i used with your gf?"

shOckfuel & Splitz (Joe DeBoer) - Liar, Thief, Scumbag

Thats really a shame. It seems like they weren't grateful or something.
    2013 BMW 128i M sport

Comment

"Most" folks don't really seem to appreciate something if its just given to them. When they have to work hard to get something thats when they usually take care of it, there are always exceptions. Probably why habitat makes you put in sweat equity so you learn to appreciate the helping hand being offered to you!! Actually ironic a construction company is what they started, such a nice way to pay back the people that helped you out go into busines and compete against them! SCHMUCKS, let em live out of a shopping cart for a few years!

Comment

I don't necessarily read that they weren't grateful. They used the home as collateral for a loan to try to start a business. When the business went bust, so did the home. If they were trying to start a business, they could have been looking to better themselves but it didn't happen. Could be the reason EM had to build them a home in the first place. Some folks just don't have the sense to hang on to what they have.

Grateful - probably
        Stupid - maybe
        - Ron -
        I miss my 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2009 Triumph Speedmaster

"You've come far and though you're far from the end, you don't mind where you are 'cause your know where you've been. "

Comment

Ya but they had been given almost 250,000 in addition to the house that they could have used, or maybe they did, squander away almost 700,000. wow. I feel bad for the kids, going from having a shitty house and life to having such an amazing house to have your parents screw you over and now are basically homeless again.
          - 1995 Jetta (Harlequin)

Comment

Originally posted by Ron L View Post
            I don't necessarily read that they weren't grateful. They used the home as collateral for a loan to try to start a business. When the business went bust, so did the home. If they were trying to start a business, they could have been looking to better themselves but it didn't happen. Could be the reason EM had to build them a home in the first place. Some folks just don't have the sense to hang on to what they have.

Grateful - probably
            Stupid - maybe

agreed. It's hard to call them out completely without knowing circumstances and details involved.

On one side... they had everything handed to them, and they blew it.

On the other side, they may have saw it as a once in a life time opportunity to launch their dreams and start the business. The real estate market speculation at the time (3-4 years ago) might have had their home valued at double that amount, leading to the thought that "worst case scenario" they could always sell it, pay off the loan, and still be able to buy a reasonable home for their family. Then the real estate market burst, prices deflate, the economy takes a dump... industries hit the hardest by the downturn includes construction, the business which they just started... income falls flat.. the house is worth crap.. and you're between a rock and a hard place.

I guess the reason this sucks is that the home that was lost was donated and built by so many people's efforts, donations, etc. with the best intentions. when it's joe blow that loses all his lottery money (which happens often by the way) it's not even a news story.

I mean it's not like they put an ad in the paper for the $450,000 5 o'clock free crack giveaway.
            -Nick V-
            Current: '88 Golf GL 2.0 16V / '82 Caddy Diesel
            Favorite Past Dubs: '92 Corrado VR6, '99.5 APR Stg.3 A4, '91 GTI 8V, '81 Rabbit Truck,

Comment

- 1995 Jetta (Harlequin)

Comment

If they were trying to start a business, taking out a HELOC to start it was a foolish move. They should have incorporated and had the company take out the loan, that way they wouldn't have lost their house if things went bust. Live and learn I suppose.
                --Kal--
                Current:- 11' Buick Regal Turbo 6MT - Baller Responsibility Mobile Supreme
                Past: 06' VW GTI - 00' Audi S4 - 87' 944T

Comment

Thats the whole problem"they had everything handed to them" regardless of circumstances you can only appreciate it to its fullest extent if you have sweated the blood and tears to achieve that level, wagering it means nothing to someone who doesn't grasp that concept initially. Some good financial planning would have helped but a better plan would be a instead of starting a construction company maybe get a JOB at one and learn how things work first! They and all the other silver spoons and lotto winners lack the perspective!Anyone who still feels sorry for them come see me i have a tunnel to canada for sale.

Comment

UghSmack
                    2001 Reflex Silver GTi wun point 8 tee

Comment

Do you see the irony of them starting a construction business?
                      Bad decisions make excellent stories.

Brian

Comment

I get so frustrated about this stuff. I bust my ass all day, come home, work on my cars and house, keep trying to make them nicer and last longer, and these fools get this stuff handed to them and blow it.

I wish that I would win the stupid lottery or have someone come out and rebuild my damn house for free. I'd be so happy. Imagine a fully funded 401K even with 2 kids in day camp all summer!
                        Mad BBQ-stylz grille skillz
                        Katherine, in words

Comment

Originally posted by atomicalex View Post
                          Imagine a fully funded 401K even with 2 kids in day camp all summer!
                          Pipe-dream.
                          - Ron -
                          I miss my 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2009 Triumph Speedmaster

"You've come far and though you're far from the end, you don't mind where you are 'cause your know where you've been. "

Comment

Working...
                          X