Is it possible. DVR - ExtHardDrive - Computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible. DVR - ExtHardDrive - Computer

I have Dish network. The only thing holding me back from canceling this service is the fact that I have recorded a lot of random cool live music stuff that I don't want to lose (live Grammy performances, SNL performances, Concerts, etc.). I have an external hard drive that I currently store this stuff in but its obviously formatted for the Dish DVR. So if I reformat I lose everything.

Is there a way to pull this stuff off the hard drive and store it on my Laptop or burn to DVD or something? If I could get everything I have onto the hard drive and be able to view it without the Dish DVR then I would be done with that crap for good and save $100+ per month.

Anyone have ideas/help???
    A big Ford 4x4, a Deeeeezle BMW and a air cooled flat six
    PCA# 2014080243

I would guess that someone has broken the DRM on the files, but you are going to have to dig deep into the bowels of the internet to find someone who has posted how to do it without receiving a cease and desist letter from Dish.

I went down the same road with a cable box and got to the point where I had 3-4 second clips of some programs I had recorded. My conclusion was to find what I could on Youtube and buy copies of anything I absolutely had to have.
    Mike
    2001 Jetta 3.2 4-Motion (TRRRUNK)

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say - everything is on the internet. Ditch the dish..
      '93steVoR6 : '92SLd : '90g6d : '58 gypsi : '59scab : '60dlx
      >> VAG-COM & Tow Dolly For Rent <<
      Parting Out: MK3s, Passats & Corrados

Comment

Originally posted by n0ftInc View Post
        Yeah, I was going to say - everything is on the internet. Ditch the dish..
        I am going to. We trial ran Amazon Prime TV off of my laptop last night with decent success. I have DSL at my place so my internet is mighty slow but after 30 second or so of buffering we were able to watch anything we wanted in HD with no stop/start or anything. Through more research I will say that its almost impossible to transfer things off of that hard drive onto a laptop (certainly not worth the hassle) so I will just eat it on the few things that cannot be found on the internet (I have looked).
        PCA# 2014080243

Comment

what cant you find? BitTorrent FTW!
          - 1995 Jetta (Harlequin)
          - 2001 Jetta (Stormtrooper)

Kyliak - "Why because the condom failed that i used with your gf?"

shOckfuel & Splitz (Joe DeBoer) - Liar, Thief, Scumbag

Comment

we did the Roku and have loved it so far. some times it is annoying with searching but then we just have to remind ourselves of the savings. I will be getting another one for the bedroom, might try one of the competitors as a side by side comparison.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't quite figured out the whole "bit torrent" thing. It must be my old balls or something.

We did trial run Amazon Prime TV the other day off of my laptop and managed to watch Ted with only about 60 seconds of buffering at the beginning and not a single hiccup after that.

That being said I think we will probably go with Fire TV which is $99 and then our friend has a "Family" netflix thing that we can use for free so with my Prime members ship of $50 a year plus MLB.com subscription each year for $50 we are still saving like $900 a year by losing Dish. I am going to wait until after this MLB season to switch just in case the Tigers make the series or something I don't want to miss it.
              PCA# 2014080243

Comment

see what you have to do is get a group of people together and everyone buys a subscription and then shares with the others in the group.

I never have buffering.

Comment

Working...
                X