Streaming Media Players?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaming Media Players?

I'm gonna be laid-up recovering from sinus surgery later this week and next, so I figure I'll take the time to try to rip through a few movies/etc, in my Netflix queue. Problem is, my TV is too old to be "smart", and my Xbox360 caught the RRoD a while ago. Need some advice on readily available "plug-in" streaming media players (Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, etc.). Planing on picking something up from BestBuy in the next few days, so any advice/experience would be appreciated...

We canceled cable a little while ago and picked up Chromecast to do some of the streaming media stuff. Love it so far. I got a friend’s account login info for Comcast, so I’m able to stream Watch ESPN, NBC Sports Network, and a bunch of live TV from the iPad, phone, or laptop, as well as Netflix, Hulu, etc.

If you have the Chrome browser on your computer you can get the Google Cast extension and stream anything you’re viewing in your browser.

Whether you're streaming from the tablet, phone, or computer you are able to use that device for other things at the same time and I love that multi-task option.

If you're mainly looking to do Netflix Chromecast is probably the cheapest option. If you wanna do other stuff I'm sure each of the other options has its strengths.
    Chris

'98 B5 Wagon 1.8T, '78 Westy, '82 Caddy

Comment

We use our Wii. I'd think you could find a used one for dirt cheap. Then you can play MarioKart, too!
      -CHRIS-

'09 JSW 2.5 - Mine
      '10 JSW TDI - Hers

Comment

I love my setup. I got a WD Streaming media player and a 2TB Apple Time Machine HD. I store all of my downloaded movies and TV shows on the Time Machine. The Time Machine acts as our wireless router, and the WD player is connected to it. The WD 'streams' the movie files from the Time Machine. Does that make sense? It was super easy to set up. I can drop files onto the Time Machine from my computer. The iPad can also access the files if I want to watch movies on it anywhere in the house. The WD is nice too because it can read a lot of file types (.mpg, .mp4, .avi, etc).
        -doug
        all/most/nothing

Comment

Wow... After doing some "light" research at lunch and reading your responses, I'll probably just start out with the Chromecast. It seems like it's the most affordable, and "RTR" out of the box is a big plus.

Comment

We Love Our Chromecast. I Recommend It.
            2003 Golf
            1978 Baywindow
            ---------------

Comment

Streaming Media Players?

I have a roku, which I love

And good luck with the sinus surgery!
              I had mine rotoruted about 9 years ago. I highly recommend it. It hurts, but the only thing I remember sucking was when they came and pulled the gauze out the next day. :)
              '81 Rabbit Pickup
              '03 Audi TT

<--- the paper says "despite all my rage"
              Always one rusted rounded off bolt away from success

Comment

Originally posted by jenny View Post
                And good luck with the sinus surgery!
                I had mine rotoruted about 9 years ago. I highly recommend it. It hurts, but the only thing I remember sucking was when they came and pulled the gauze out the next day. :)
                Unfortunately, I'm not a sinus surgery "virgin"... I've had +/-3 surgeries over >20yrs, and most of them have been necessary because of the poor result of the 1st. I pretty clearly remember the "discomfort" when the splint/packing was pulled out (remember the scene from the OG "Total Recall" where Arnold has to remove the "tracking device" through his nostril...). I'm not looking forward to that again.

Comment

Johnny, do you want to borrow my PS4?
                  Rich aka Buddha
                  OG Status Crew

Comment

I have two Roku 3's. I love them. When I saw them on woot again a couple weeks ago for 50 I jumped immediately and bought my second one.

Comment

Originally posted by Capcrnch View Post
                      Johnny, do you want to borrow my PS4?
                      Thanks for the offer. It sounds VERY tempting, but I'm afraid it's only going to make me want to buy one...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyB View Post
                        Thanks for the offer. It sounds VERY tempting, but I'm afraid it's only going to make me want to buy one...
                        lol I like it, but I like my XBone much more.

If you want it, the offer remains. I've got 4 or 5 games to keep you busy.
                        Rich aka Buddha
                        OG Status Crew

Comment

Don't you have a laptop? Just plug it in, download an app and use your phone as a remote. Thats how I use my HTPC's.
                          - 1995 Jetta (Harlequin)
                          - 2001 Jetta (Stormtrooper)

Kyliak - "Why because the condom failed that i used with your gf?"

shOckfuel & Splitz (Joe DeBoer) - Liar, Thief, Scumbag

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilCabby View Post
                            Don't you have a laptop? Just plug it in, download an app and use your phone as a remote. Thats how I use my HTPC's.
                            Fortunately/unfortunately no I don't. I know it's not uncommon at all, but since I use a computer/workstation all day at work, I haven't felt the need/urge to equip myself with a laptop at home. In fact, the workstation I built for home use >10yrs ago rarely gets turned on anymore. I've done some on-again/off-again "research" about upgrading or replacing it with a "workstation class" laptop, but I've never gone far past "window shopping"...

Comment

Roku 3 on Woot.com right now!!! 64.99.

Comment

Working...
                              X